1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

[SOLVED] Hello - 4x4 Tipper for light forestry

Discussion in 'Daihatsu Hi jet' started by Jonno, Feb 16, 2021.

1. Jonno

Jonno Member

Just a quick 'hi' from the UK- I hope everyone is safe and well during these challenging times.

As my signature indicates, I am considering a minitruck for use as a lumber lugger at my property in France. I've previously looked at 'iron horses' and converted Jimny pickups, but the restrictive price and limited flexibility has inevitably drawn me to this seemingly ideal vehicle type.

I will likely winch lumber up to a landing during winter and then wait until Spring to lug it up relatively steep, but smoothish forestry tracks.

So far I've spied a 1998 Daihatsu Hijet 'Climber', but am confused about the presence or otherwise of diff-lock and low range with this model. The one I have seen has no sign of a high/low selector by the handbrake, nor a diff-lock button. Do some 'Climber' models have a part time diff-lock in first and reverse only? I can't tell from the pictures if the rear axle has diff-lock and I don't want to waste the guy's time at this early stage.

The backup option is a Suzuki Carry 4x4 diff-lock tipper, which also seems pretty good.

I'd be curious to know your views, and especially if anyone has the model name in Japanese or numerical code for 4x4 diff-locked, low/high PTO tippers. Of any make. This alone would preserve the little remaining hair I have left. . .

Jonno

2. Jigs-n-fixtures

Jigs-n-fixtures Well-Known Member

Jonno, from what I have read, the Climber version had anti-slip differential(s), and a more aggressive off-road tire. The were available in both 2wd and 4wd. Part of the 70 series Hijets, they had the 2-cylinder 550-cc engines.

If it were me, I’d probably look for a Porter with the four-cylinder, 1.3L Diesel engine. Far more torque and horsepower, plus I would assume better parts availability.

Adam C Spry likes this.
  3. Jonno

Jonno Member

That's insanely helpful Jigs! Thanks so much for your feedback. I will wait for a few other opinions before placing a [solved] next to my query, but that has given much food for thought.

Adam C Spry likes this.
  4. Jonno

Jonno Member

Hi Jigs,
    Having looked at the Porters in recent weeks, it seems the cost is prohibitive, with some really heavily used examples that don't inspire confidence, going for silly money. I have found a 2009 Suzuki Carry, which has a hi/lo box. The only issue I suppose is this modern model has quite an overhang at the front, which could negatively influence take off angle. I suppose slightly larger tires combined with a 2" lift would help. How much larger in diameter can one go with tires, before a lift is required?

Anyway, just updating everyone on the journey. Stay safe all!
    J

5. Jigs-n-fixtures

At some point in the late nineties, I think they went to a full frame, and you can probably do a body, lift as opposed to a suspension lift, which can mess up the steering geometry.

6. Jonno

Jonno Member

Oh very interesting! Many thanks Jigs!

7. Jonno

Jonno Member

8. Jigs-n-fixtures

Yep, that looks right. The only thing I didn’t see in the kit, is the extender for the steering column, to reconnect to the rack, when you lift the bottom of the steering column up.

9. Jonno

Jonno Member

Great, thanks mate. I think it refers to an extender in the narrative, but perhaps it's something that looks different, depending on what chassis number you submit.

10. Jonno

Jonno Member

Hello all - I found this: https://www.thecarwarehouse.co.uk/vehicle/1017/suzuki-carry which seems to tick all the boxes. I very nearly pushed the button on a more modern (2009) Carry 4x4, but that nose juts out a country mile and no amount of lift would stop me burying it in to my track!

What do you think?

11. Limestone

Limestone Well-Known Member

Jo,
    Looks nice. Good Luck with it! Now you can go to your profile page at the top and click on your Signature, and put in your info on your new prize!
    Limestone

Jonno likes this.
  12. Jonno

Jonno Member

Thanks! I love that scissor lift you have in your profile pic!

13. Jigs-n-fixtures

The scissor/dump units are a bit rare. The only thing I’ve seen less of are the triple dumps, (either side and rear.)

14. Jonno

Jonno Member

Yeah, I've seen mostly the Piaggio models with side-tip. They must have a unique utility for local authorities.

I'm managing a 25 acre hardwood forest, with pretty good forestry tracks, but the scissor lift would be amazing to pollard trees (high up pruning to prevent the sodding deer from nibbling regrowth)!

15. Jonno

Jonno Member

So, the Mitsubishi Mini Cab! I believe it doesn't have diff lock, but given that I'll be selective about the seasons when I operate in the forest (to protect the tracks), I figure the gnarly tyres they come with, combined with a low box I would rarely get stuck enough to warrant difflock. Does anyone have a view on these please? The cab looks SLIGHTLY less 'compact' too, which could help this chunkachunk body of mine!

16. Jigs-n-fixtures

In your situation, I would definitely want a dual range transfer case. The Mitsubishi will work fine, as would any of the 4wd minitrucks. The differential lock gives you the option of just locking in the rear axle. But the 4wd also locks the rear differential. And, if a guy were handy, he could probably install his own switch and wiring to get the rear differential to lock in 2wd.

Jonno likes this.
  17. Jonno

Jonno Member

Good points all, as ever! Thanks for your feedback. I usually figure that the Difflock is generally a good way of telling you that you shouldn't be there in the first place. I believe there are some good after market limited slip differentials out there for the mitsy models.

18. Jigs-n-fixtures

I bought a 4500-lb winch for mine. If I actually got stuck, I could use it to haul out. Being in the woods, you should have a multitude of trees large enough to anchor to. Just get a trunk protector, so you d0n’t mess up the bark.

19. Jonno

Jonno Member

Yeah, I actually have a great capstan winch, for hauling lumber, so I could just hook that bad boy up!

20. Jigs-n-fixtures

The problem with capstan winches is that if you need to do a self recovery, you cant steer the truck, and tail the rope at the same time. And, if something breaks loose between the winch and the anchor, you are standing right where it is headed.

Limestone and Jonno like this.
  21. Jonno

Jonno Member

Good evening all (honourable mention to Jigs!)

I am largely convinced of the Mitsy option, now that I have spoken to the vendor. HOWEVER, could I have your feedback on https://www.thecarwarehouse.co.uk/vehicle/769/daihatsu-hijet ? Is the higher deck level indicative of a higher max load? The rear diff seems to be the same height as other Kei trucks, but I wonder if the springs have a bit more weight capacity?

Thanks again for yoru eye-rolling patience :-D

Limestone likes this.
  22. Jigs-n-fixtures

The one you just posted is a “Heavy Dump” Hijet. They have a heavier spring set in the rear. But, that isn’t why they bed sets higher. On the standard version, the bed bolts directly to the rear frame rails. On, the dump versions the dump mechanism is bolted to the frame, and the bed is bolted to that. The result is that the bed sets about 4-inches higher than on the standard version.

The dump versions are easier to work on, because you can tip the bed, and remove the engine protection plate (6-bolts), and you have very good access to the top of the engine, which includes the carburetor, distributor, vacuum lines and plug wires.

I think it would fit your needs rather well.

Limestone likes this.
  23. Jonno

Jonno Member

Ah great - excellent point about engine access. Thanks very much Jigs, as ever!

24. Jonno

Jonno Member

Hello again! I have a question about the more modern mini trucks, with the front wheel all the way to the front (like this one - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2007-57-SUZUKI-CARRY-0-7-4X4-12-000-MILES-ONLY-4-WHEEL-DRIVE/124674090898). Does this significantly change the take off angle and therefore make it perhaps more suitable for offroad use?

Also, with the more modern version, is there a slight reduction in power, torque etc., so that it conforms to ever more rigid emission regulations?

Thanks for your ongoing patience!

25. Jigs-n-fixtures

I think the newer versions actually produce more horsepower, because while the size of the Kei class vehicles, and the total displacement are tightly regulated the power out put isn’t. So, as engines became more efficient, the power has gone up.

The front axle, and front end were bumped forward to increase the survivability of front end collisions. But moving the Axle does increase the attack angle. I’m not sure, but I think the cab and bed on that generation are mounted to a frame, as opposed to the cab and front of the frame being unibody. That would allow you to do a body lift, and fit larger tires. The S100 series Hijets have the axle pretty far forward but the Cab and frame are one piece so you have to do all the lift in the suspension.

26. Jonno

Jonno Member

As ever Jigs, you're a font of knowledge! Many thanks for continued guidance. I've left a couple of queries with importers about a scissor lift 4x4, low/high, difflock, but I don't think there are any around, beyond absolute rust buckets!

The Climber heavy has gone, so now I have this newer Suzuki 4x4 with crawler and the Mitsy. Getting ever closer to pushing the button!

Have a great weekend everyone!

27. Limestone

I agree! We need to acknowledge Jig and Fixtures, undying support, and help to all of us! The GOLDEN SOMBRERO AWARD, goes to him, once again! I know he doesn't demand it but he certainly is deserving!
    Limestone

28. Jonno

Jonno Member

Hello all,

Just a note to say that I have just paid for a Daihatsus 4x4 scissor lift hijet :). It will take a good few weeks to get it shipped over to the UK, but the hard part is done! Thanks to all for the guidance in recent weeks, and to Jigs for saint-like patience!

I'm now looking forward to pestering you all for tips on servicing :-D 0001.jpg

Limestone likes this.
  29. Jigs-n-fixtures

Nice looking rig. And the lift bed will be very handy doing the lower level pruning, etc.

30. Limestone

Congrats, You'll Love it! I was noticing behind the cab, looks like another set of lift cylinders to me, unless there just some extra safety supports!
    Limestone