1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Heat - dash vents, footwell vents, defrost vents?

Discussion in 'Subaru Sambar' started by Colin, Dec 5, 2007.

1. Colin

Colin Member

My Sambar makes heat, but it only blows out of the footwell vents and defroster vents. That's really all that's important, but it would be cool to be able to blow heat out of the upper dash vents, too. When I flip the lever to dash vents, cold air blows. Is my selector door fubar'd, or is this normal for a Sambar? :sly:

Colin

2. my sambar blows cold when on the vent but I will have to see if it blows hot on floor or defrost. I tried the vents a lil while back and got only cold air.

3. Colin

Colin Member

Hmm. Maybe it's normal.

4. BLES

BLES Member

Colin:
    I'll check out mine tomorrow, too. I assume you read my post.? I'm finally a mini truck owner now, too.
    BLES

5. Colin

Colin Member

Congrats on the purchase. :)

6. BLES

BLES Member

Colin:
    Just warmed mine up and tried it. Nice heat on defrost and floor positions but as soon as I switched to the panel vents it went to cold. Sorry, I guess that's the nature of the beast!
    BLES

7. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner New Member

Must be a natural. I have a 1990 and it does the same thing.

8. mjseiler

mjseiler New Member

Same Answer Here

I have a 1997 Susuki Carry. I was perplexed because I experienced the same. Mine only blows hot air from the floor board and defrost! When I switch it to the dash vents it only blows cold air! Maybe that is the way they all operate?

9. Colin

Colin Member

Another of life's great mysteries, I guess. :)

They probably figure you need all the heat you can get when all that separates your boots from the tundra is a thin piece of sheet metal.

Colin

10. hamradio

hamradio Member

It doesn't sound too weird or anything; on my vw rabbit, heat only comes out 2 little vents by speaker grilles in the dash, and a vent on the heater box. The 2 main vents in the dash blow cold. Apparently it is supposed to be this way. On my vw scirocco, it has 4 vents in the dash. 2 on the outside of the dash, 2 on the inside. heat only comes out the 2 inner vents.

11. hamradio

hamradio Member

Also, couldn't one put down something that would provide a little insulational value, like dynamat or something? Along with a whole rubber floor mat?

12. frostback

frostback Member

I'm glad to hear this is normal, I thought I was going to have to tear the dash apart. At least the heater works good on defrost.:)

Derek

13. earl660

earl660 New Member

Yeah mine does the same thing. The Sambar vans have a foot heater for the backseat on a separate fan switch :D

14. LAZ 1

LAZ 1 New Member

I just bought my Sambar from a nice young Japanese lady, and when I gort it home I emailed to ask why the heater blew cold out the dash vents???
    Here is her reply ....

" The heater has a "safety feature." It will only work for feet and windshield defrost. Transport Japan thinks delivery drivers will fall asleep if warm air is directed at the body."

Now isn't that interesting?
    LAZ 1
    [;{)

15. Deanclean

Deanclean Member

I have a 1997 Sambar Classic, and It blows warm air from the dash vents. It looks like this maybe out of the ordinary. It doesnt really matter anyway because I pretty much always just have the heat on my feat and windshield.
    Ryan