1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Greeting from New England

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by indulis, Jan 25, 2008.

1. indulis

indulis New Member

Hi Everyone,

I was in the middle of buying a Mule when I stumbled across mini trucks... needless to say, the Mule went out on its "***"!!

I have purchased, sight un-seen, a 1989 Daihatsu Hijet with a dump bed and added a 72" Blackline plow, 23” ATV tires, 2" rear hitch and a spay-in bed liner. It "should" be delivered in a couple of weeks. I have a few questions if you don't mind...

When my truck is delivered, is there anything in particular I should look for or check out before I sign on the dotted line? It was advertised as only having 1767 miles. Certainly, I will try to make sure that everything works as it should, provided I can figure out how to make it work in the first place. I just thought that all of you have experience with these things and know what to look for in terms of tell-tail indicators!! Any tips would be appreciated!!!

Also, what is the deal with the “speed limiting devices”? From what I’ve read, it is an importing requirement to limit the speed. My machine will be used exclusively on my own private property… any reason not to remove “the device”? Speaking of which… what form does it take? Does it limit engine RPM, or does it limit the available gears? Is it hard to remove? Before anyone asks, no, I’m not some young “speed freak”… rather a 53 year old, “slightly over weight” guy who would like to get from one end of his property to the other a little quicker!! This is all on dirt roads… no 4 wheel’n involved!!

As it would appear that no repair manuals (in English) are available, I know I will have lots of questions!! Some are really basic… for example, what are the “capacities” for this truck?

Oil, how many quarts (or liters)?
    Recommended oil weight?

Coolant… how many liters?

The same goes for the differential, transmission and transfer case.

Is there some recommended “routine” maintenance schedule?

Any pointers, or words of wisdom are welcomed!!!

Thanks
    Gus