1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

great news for wisconsin mini truck owners

Discussion in 'General Truck Info' started by david pharo, Aug 28, 2018.

  1. david pharo

    david pharo New Member

    :):) After months of back and forth with the DMV, they have decided to register KEI vehicles for the street using the feds 25 years or older law that exempts them from restrictions.
    thanks to the much appreciated effort of Shaun @ DMV, i now can drive my suzuki cappuccino and daihatsu hijet jumbo legally on the street as collector vehicles.
  2. ttc

    ttc Active Member

    Cappuccino.... So jealous
  3. harley rose

    harley rose Member

    WAY TO GO !!! Con Grats
  4. harley rose

    harley rose Member

    David: Did the DMV make you use the 25 Y/O antique / collector rules OR did you choose to (as I did) ?? I could have done a standard registration BUT there was no reason to & would have been over 10X more expensive !!
  5. david pharo

    david pharo New Member

    Harley, we had to use the 25 year rule to register our trucks. the subaru sambar van and the suzuki cappuccino are registered as regular passenger vehicles, they had delaware titles.
  6. carrymei

    carrymei New Member

    Dave, can you PM all the details of how you were able to get this done?
    I've contacted the DMV on several occassions and no one there would confirm I could get one titled, and basically scared me from buying a recently imported vehicle...
    I'd appreciate it more than you can imagine!
  7. harley rose

    harley rose Member

    "Is This Street Legal?" "Can I get Title/Plates/Registration?" "My Grandmother's Sister's Mailman said these are not legal on the streets" - Finally finished a page explaining it all - Facts, not opinions. I ask that you PLEASE read and PLEASE comment, PLEASE post questions. https://unusual-auto.com/street-legal
    carrymei likes this.
  8. david pharo

    david pharo New Member

    As long as the vehicle is 25 years old (1993 or older) it can be registered with collector plates. I was ASSURED that we would not have any problems in the future with registering a KEI vehicle.
    it might help if the vehicle has a US title from any state but its not necessary. My car had a Delaware title and the truck had a Japanese title.
    The people at the DMV are now aware of the situation and it has been documented so i was told. GOOD LUCK!
  9. Acerguy

    Acerguy Moderator Staff Member

    Well that's interesting. I only have to wait 8 more years! :) Thanks for the update.
  10. david pharo

    david pharo New Member

    Or, you could move to Canada. They have a 15 year import law.

    THOMAS LARA New Member

  12. Justin...Bayem

    Justin...Bayem New Member

    What can I do to convert my 1990 s80 2wd to 4wd?

    THOMAS LARA New Member

    SteveBW likes this.
  14. Corey Telford

    Corey Telford New Member

  15. Grump272

    Grump272 New Member

    I am interested in one of these trucks. Is there anyone in Wisconsin that would be interested in getting together so I could see their truck?

Share This Page