1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Getting really frustrated about insurance

Discussion in 'General Truck Info' started by cabnfever, Jul 5, 2010.

1. cabnfever

cabnfever Member

Ok it took me a while to just find insurance period for my Sambar and i know im paying way to much for it. So now i want to start using it for a landscaping snow removal business and i want to get commercial coverage for the truck only and with a plow. Its F'ing impossible, ive been referred to companies people use and even one that has commercial insurance on their acty paying less than i do for part time. No ins co will cover me and the one that insured the other mini for business no longer deals with them:mad: I've had 1 at fault 5 1/2 years ago and no other tickets infractions period since 1993 and im 35. Could someone tell me wtf is going on :frustration: Its getting to the point where im going to have to sell the truck to buy a north american gas chugger. Grrrrrrrrrr

2. fupabox

fupabox Well-Known Member

I'm with Dominion of Canada..not sure if you have tried them

3. cabnfever

cabnfever Member

yep i tried them here in T.O. and they said they dont cover RHD's. I've tried quite a lot of companies and only my current insurer who is bending me over big time has taken me on. I know im in toronto but $190/month for regular full coverage is insane. Im going to pull everything off and just go with Liability until i find another company and if i dont im just going to have to sell the truck:(

4. BC_MMC

BC_MMC Member

Wow. $82 mo with commercial coverage on my Mits with ICBC

5. fupabox

fupabox Well-Known Member

I wish we had a provincial ins. plan like B.C. Ontarians get hosed...my son just got his license and if he buys a 22 year old Volvo wagon (about as safe as you can get) his premium would be $12,000 per year..that's just plain wrong...motorcycle dealerships are closing in Ontario because of ridiculous premiums that people can't afford......Do you have a cottage that you could use as an address for insurance purposes???the rates outside Toronto are significantly lower

6. cabnfever

cabnfever Member

i wish i did, i wish i did :frustration:

7. Stuff99

Stuff99 Moderator Staff Member

SGI rates - https://mysgi.sgi.sk.ca/afFeeCalc/feecalculation.do

safety rating is +1 for each year of clean driving. accidents and other infractions subract points. accidents 6 points and some others are 3. after 3 years it goes to 0 and sits there till you get those years "paid off"

-if it was in SK and no safety rating - plates and insurance-
    Registration Date: 07Jul2010 Vehicle: 1993 SUBARU SAMBAR TRUCK
    Class: LV - Light Vehicle Safety Rating: 0
    The registration and insurance for this vehicle is $639.00 per year. Based on the information you have chosen, this registration would expire on 06Jul2011.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2010
  8. cabnfever

cabnfever Member

all i can do is laugh and wish it were like that here

9. rynow

rynow Member

In MB for all purpose insurance...

In MB for all purpose insurance...mine runs apx $92 per mo
    less if I paid all at once.

Still way cheaper insurance than a brand new vehicle here

10. cabnfever

cabnfever Member

OMFG!!! this is just getting f'ing stupid. I came home today and i see a letter from my ins co. It states that when my policy ends(Oct 5/10) that my ins co will no longer be offerring ins for rhd's so my policy will not be renewed. Hope nobody else has Intact Ins as their insurer(not broker).

search continues

11. zardoz

zardoz Member

My insurance company is "The Personal", I've had them for years (no at faults on my record) I'm 46 now. I'm not sure what my rate is for my suzuki and my KIA/yearly... but I know it's not outrageous (also not as cheap as some I've seen here). What I do know... is that they simply REFUSE to provide commercial insurance for mini trucks, so .... sorry no help from me :(

I hope your quest has a happy ending.. I'd hate to see you loose your mini for a big guzzler on account of bureaucratic policy.

z

12. anthill

anthill Member

Cabnfever, did you try the insurer I PMed you? They gave me coverage with no arguing, over-the-phone, and the rates are comparable to quotes I got for LHD. Not sure what their commercial division's policy is, though.

13. cabnfever

cabnfever Member

No i havent yet but its looking promising, i have 2 brokers looking for me. I asked if it would be easier to get comm. coverage if i had a LHD and he stated no its the plow that makes it hard.

But he did hint at the fact that RHD is being turned away by a lot of companies because of all the sports cars coming in. So im assuming they are getting a lot of tickets or something. It means our trucks get put in the same category as the skylines by association of rhd which sux.