1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gas MPG

Discussion in 'Suzuki Carry' started by matt167, Aug 6, 2017.

1. matt167

matt167 Active Member

I've tracked my gas mileage on my 1992 Carry 5spd several times since it's my main vehicle. Gas quality is very important and head winds are killer too..

I'm getting a basic average of 40 MPG. Sometimes it's 39 MPG, sometimes it's 41 MPG. Lowest has been like 32 MPG on some crap gas... I track the KM between fillups and then convert to miles and divide
    I run 90 KPH ( 55 MPH ) on a main highway ( not interstate ) 44 miles to work and back at least 3 times a week. Sometimes I car pool or it would be more..
    As for the gas I run, I just put 87 octane 10% ethanol in it. Sources tell me ethanol fuel is in Japan too and I DD this and with a 7 gallon tank, fuel is always fresh. The one time I put non ethanol premium in it the gas was bad in the station and the little 660cc could barely handle it

2. KCCats

KCCats Active Member

Mine is a 91 4X45 sp and I get 26 & 28!

3. matt167

matt167 Active Member

are you running factory diamater tires?

Mines a 4x4 and I have 145 R12 Yokohama tires. 372S IIRC, they are the ones that are DOT legal

4. KCCats

KCCats Active Member

185 70 13" and I go by GPS for my distance!

5. matt167

matt167 Active Member

That's the one thing I have not done so I don't know exactly if the old cable speedo is totally accurate. Factory tire size on the factory rims though so should be close.

Typically I hold 1/4- 1/2 throttle to maintain 55. Truck probably has a lot more in it but I don't push it past 55 unless it creeps up there on it's own. Can tell that between 50-55 MPH is the engines sweet spot with the 12" tires.

6. KCCats

KCCats Active Member

I run about 55 60 mostly, but I really need the carb done and timing belt and water pump as well as cap, rotor and plugs!

7. matt167

matt167 Active Member

I could probably use everything except the carb. My truck runs great. Starts on 3rd crank, solid idle. It seems a slight bit rich due to the elevation differences from Japan to here but I'm afraid to touch it.. My truck has a timing belt change sticker but it's wiped or was never marked. So it's been done, sometime.. Not sure about the cap and rotor because it runs really good but it is something I normally do to used vehicles... I checked the fluids, changed the oil, put the DOT rated tires on and started driving it.

8. jat240

jat240 New Member

The best I have done in my 1991 5-speed 4wd carry is 32mpg on mostly 50-55mph highway. strictly 25-35mph in town driving the worst I have gotten is 24mpg. with a mix I get about 28mpg. the area I live in has a lot of hills and a lot of stopping. I run 87 speedway gas. My truck is all stock with the Japanese highway tread 145R12LT tires. I cleaned the carb out, new cap, new rotor, synthetic oil. the rest of the truck is untouched.

9. KCCats

KCCats Active Member

That's about where Im at!
    I have 13" tires and need the carb done and had hopes of 30 around here and hopefully like 35 on the road?

Last edited: Aug 27, 2017
  10. matt167

matt167 Active Member

I've noticed it can be very dependent on what gas I use. A couple times I filled up at stations I don't like to use, but with a small tank, I get gas where I can if it's under 1/4 tank. Fuel mileage those times was horrible..

My route is fairly flat with a bit of down hill. one hill to climb about 1/2 mile going to work with 3-4 miles of downhill , and that is reversed going home. Trip is 44 miles each way.. It's still continually in that 39-40 MPG range on average.

11. KCCats

KCCats Active Member

Are you using the odometer or GPS?
    I have both and with the 13" tires my Od is off!

12. matt167

matt167 Active Member

I mainly use the odometer but have checked it with a GPS and it's pretty accurate. Since I run the factory 145R12 just in a DOT legal tire. that's probably why it's a non issue.

13. Vannie

Vannie New Member

i travelled 350KM using 27.10 litres of fuel in my newly aquired Sambar, bear in mind about 200KM of that was a full load with family and camping gear. that means if my calculations are correct i'm getting 36.5 MPG.
    not bad for a 20 year old van

Last edited: Jun 12, 2019
  14. SDK1968

SDK1968 Active Member

wow you guys get some really good MPG out of these....

im always in 4wd & half the time in low range on my hillsides. & my mini spends a lot of time at high idle when im using the sprayer & so on.

used half tank of gas in the last month & only put 40 miles on it. that would put me in the 10-12pmg range. :)

15. Jigs-n-fixtures

Jigs-n-fixtures Well-Known Member

I get 22-mpg. But I’m mostly putting around town and can’t get past third gear due to speed limits.

When, I’m not in town, I’m in 4wd, low range, playing in the woods. I’ve never even thought of trying to calculate the fuel economy when I’m doing that. I have two Rotopax, 4-gallon gas cans I take with, and whenI run low enough it starts to sputter, I top off and head for the house.

16. KCCats

KCCats Active Member

I believe my Suzuki only has an 8 gal tank?
    I would like to double that for better range.
    My Isuzu 5ton has a 110gal fuel tank and my VW has 16 but gets over 40mpg!

17. SDK1968

SDK1968 Active Member

as a winter project im seriously thinking about switching it over to propane.

18. KCCats

KCCats Active Member

What are the benefits to that?
    More power?
    Better millage?

19. SDK1968

SDK1968 Active Member

nah its no more power..... you gotta play with it a little to get it just right... but my carb isnt right anyway.

never goes bad when its sitting for a while
    it has no pollution factor
    doesnt ever get stolen from the tank
    doesnt slosh or draw air when you go on severe angles.

30lb forktruck tanks filled for $12-14... if they dont do it for free.

works out to be way cheaper than gasoline.

20. tay12591

tay12591 New Member

1988 Suzuki carry only getting 7-8mpg. What’s could be wrong?

21. Temuba

Temuba New Member

My new to me 96 Carry, I'm getting an average of 32mpg with the original 145R12 tires. That's driving local and highway miles, no special gas. I'm in the process of upgrading tires from the original 21"xR12 to 23"xR15. MPGs may or may not change.

22. ERINSON DURAN

ERINSON DURAN Member

I get about the same with a motorcycle carburetor. This is what I did

23. udidwht

udidwht Member

No ethanol use in Japan. As for MPG in these the numbers you got seem off. Unless the cruise speed is no more than 60kmh. More and the mileage drops quickly. Around town driving with a conservative foot my 1990 Try XS Supercharge will get ~28mpg. This is after I did a full tune up (plugs, cap, rotor and wires) also did a valve lash check and new rocker cover seal.

24. KCCats

KCCats Active Member

Tire size and speed along with Wind are the biggest factors
    Personally I did away with the stock carb! JUNK!

25. t_g_farrell

t_g_farrell Active Member

On long trips (4-5 hours per tank - 10 gallon tank) doing ~95kmh in 5th gear with the throttle almost matted the whole time I see around 26MPG ( 40kmpg). Around town I get maybe 32 if I'm on 45 mph or slower streets. My every is running pretty good but it needs a new fuel pump and the valves adjusted along with a carb rebuild in the near future. After that I expect it won't change much anyway.

26. KCCats

KCCats Active Member

LOL
    Must be 2 wheel drive
    I drove my truck 2 hours into Chicago land
    NEVER again!

27. t_g_farrell

t_g_farrell Active Member

Yep, 2wd for sure.

28. KCCats

KCCats Active Member

Best I can get is about 85 k on speedo or about 60mph

29. udidwht

udidwht Member

Actually it is 30.34 mpg

30. udidwht

udidwht Member

The lower mpg at speed is due to being way beyond the 'peak torque'. In Japan major highway max speed is 60 km/h.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2023