1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gas leaking from gas cap

Discussion in 'Mitsubishi Minicab' started by Robert Gionet, Sep 18, 2016.

1. Robert Gionet

Robert Gionet New Member

Noticed that when i arrive with my MiniCAb 2001, there is always a small pudding of gas on the pave just below the gas cap... the gas seems to come from the cap key slot... the cap seal proprely because when i unscrew it, i can ear the sheeesh (air coming in or out). Are the gas tank under pressure ? Cannot understand how the gas can be forced out from the key slots ...

My Mitsubishi has been bought 3 days ago.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2016
  2. Shawnimal

Shawnimal New Member

Hi Robert,

I know this is an old post, but I'm having the same issue with my 1994 Minicab. By chance, did you ever solve this issue and if so did you determine the cause? My novice theory is that mine has to do with the fuel pump or some other part of the fuel system (vacuum?) that is causing negative pressure and pushing gas back toward the filler.

Best,
    Shawn

3. oscott5

oscott5 New Member

Mine was leaking also on my ‘92 minicab. I just purchased a Stant 10806 cap from Oreilly’s for $8.50. It fits well and is snug. It fits a long list of 80s and early 90s Japanese vehicles. I haven’t driven it yet. If you look up for a 83 Mitsubishi Montero, there will also be a locking cap if you need that.

Bowe likes this.
  4. Shawnimal

Shawnimal New Member

Hey @ocscott5, thanks for the tip! That looks spot on, and checked and I can get it from my local O'Reilly tomorrow. In the meantime, I had put another gasket on there to double stack to keep the cap as tight as possible, which stopped the leak. But doesn't seem like the longterm fix I really want or need. Hoping this Stant does the trick. Appreciate it!

5. Shawnimal

Shawnimal New Member

Hey all, happy holidays and a little follow up on this! I purchased a vin lookup report from Japan [ https://carvx.jp/ ] and there was a recall issued related to the fuel system. I'm pasting verbatim (which was likely translated). I'm still researching more on this, but wanted to share:

In the fuel filler cap with pressure reducing valve of the fuel inlet, since there is inappropriate part structure of a pressure reducing valve, and continue to use as it is, air tightness of the pressure reducing valve is impaired, in the worst case, and the there is a possibility that leaking fuel from the pressure reducing valve. Also, because there is something inappropriate part in welding position of the fuel inlet (filler neck) in the guide, when you insert a filler cap with a countermeasure valve, there is what airtight of the filler neck can not be ensured, there is a possibility that the fuel leak. It should be noted that, although this matter are those that have been reported in the recall number 659 issue on August 22, there is a variation in the part of the car that is in fluid flow in the market to the welding position of the filler neck in the guide, of August 22 Since it filler cap is measures there is not Simara properly is found, it is used to perform the measures. (Change notification: September 7, 2000 notification, claim 2, September 16, 2000 measures start)

Hope this helps!