1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

gained another mini!

Discussion in 'Suzuki Carry' started by SDK1968, Jan 12, 2020.

1. SDK1968

SDK1968 Active Member

for those of you who are on here a lot, you have probably seen my carb thread.

if not?

ive got a 95 that is in cherry condition with only 50kilo's on it. got a/c & all. very sweet ride & good looking mini.

but it has the usual carb issues & got swapped..... so while all this was going on i had no mini to use & we work the crap out of one here on the little hobby farm. caught a deal on a 2002 from a guy down in KY.

we are gonna call this one Zuki.

its got 70K on it & its been used by a lawn service. the body was much rougher & it was generally just in "ok" condition. no a/c, nothing fancy on this one... jsut a worker.

what it did have was a awesome powerplant in it. needed a clutch/throw out & pressure plate & LOTS of TLC & cleaning & cleaning... then a dose of CLEANING!

heater didnt work either. so going thru it & after lots of cleaning & then the clutch job (see other thread) tonite i turned to the heater issue. it was the same as most of the other mini's.. setting in a barn & a critter had made a home in the blower & heater core. finally got it all apart & cleaned out. found 11-- 22lr rounds in there, lots of shredded paper, ink pen lid, a couple of dimes. and all the damper controls were broke.

but with some patience & effort? got the dampers set to split the air between floor & defrost & got the heat flapper working. since it has no A/C all ya gotta do is turn the fan on when you want heat.

next it was checking the brakes. fronts were brand new looking, rears were non existent. got those on the way now too! it also has a new master cylinder & Power brake booster on it. so once the rears are on .. then i'll see what we really have for brakes.

still gotta make a couple of gate latches for the rear & will get some pix up later in the week.

Ohkei Dohkei and Bigmac like this.
  2. installater

installater Active Member

Congratulations
    Regards
    Brian

3. SDK1968

SDK1968 Active Member

had a little garage time today in the rain....

got my tailgate latches made up & installed. these were a $2 way to have a decent locking tailgate & its readily available stuff that we all have.

my tailgate was not original it was made from 1" square tube with wire lathe. i used a couple of u bolts with some springs & made spring loaded latches. they are 5/16" thick. plenty strong enough & easy to operate.

will insert a pic here in a bit.

also dropped the snorkel down to right below the roof line so that i stop catching it on trees.

still need a tailpipe to quiet her down a bit.

4. SDK1968

SDK1968 Active Member

Grabbed a couple pix...

Attached Files:

5. SDK1968

SDK1968 Active Member

well tonite my LED tail lights showed up. man those were an easy swap! went right into place, wired right up & now have VERY bright tail lights & turn signals!

very cool! ive seen them around for about $100 but found them from RTy products for $29 plus shipping. shipping was ridic, but hey all in all it was around $79 for the set & to get them to my door.

price a tail light for one of these babies.... this was a good deal to have a brand new waterproof set of LED's! will grab a pic tomorrow nite.

6. Acerguy

Acerguy Moderator Staff Member

Fun project! Yeah, I've found the front end of my HiJet has lots of critter habitat in it. I've blocked off the area that pulls air for my heater core but I still need to seal off the area that is behind the headlights and under the windshield.

I managed to break the housing of one of my tail lights while pulling my bed off last year. After pricing a replacement, I stuck it back together with super glue and RTV. Works fine!

7. SDK1968

SDK1968 Active Member

and here is my LED tail lights in action! will resize them & try again tomorrow!

Attached Files:

8. SAITCHO

SAITCHO Active Member

Those lights looks awsome!!! Can you give me an approximate thickness on your lights? I need to know how much they exceed in the back. I had to remove mine from the truck due to clearance issue with the dump bed I built. Yours look way thinner than the stock ones and may actually fit on my truck.

9. Jigs-n-fixtures

Jigs-n-fixtures Well-Known Member

BABAB793-FB90-409B-9BA9-1FF0EAB78EF7.jpeg

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 4, 2020
  10. SDK1968

SDK1968 Active Member

thanks!

sure thing on the thickness... they do fit in the factory mounting holes. but they dont actually sit "inside" the holes, they sit outside & leave a gap all the way around of about 1/4". also== mine have 3/4" that sticks out from the mount. my rubber bumpers appear to be 1" so...... YES that would be an issue if my tailgate came down flat.

good news is my gate is home made & hits the bumper(also home made) instead of busting the new lights!

Jigs post looks like he dropped his farther down to give him the clearance.

Tonite was me getting a tail pipe on there. looks good, but think its still too loud. gonna drive it a while here on the farm & then maybe find a nice easy flow muffler a bit later.

SAITCHO likes this.
  11. Jigs-n-fixtures

Jigs-n-fixtures Well-Known Member

Ok, so the text disappeared on my previous post.

These are what I mounted on the Hijet, after I had to remove teh stock lights when I mounted my heavy duty bumper.
    LIMICAR 40 LED Trailer Tail Lights Kit Waterproof Turn Signal Brake Reverse Running Lights LED Tail Light for Truck Boat Trailer UTV UTE RV Camper Pickup (2 Pack) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07R1317CZ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_XdIoEb15QWE0Z

This is the adjustable blinker relay I used to get the flash rate under control, instead of mounting resistors inline with the LEDs. I figured adding resistors, kind of defeats the reduced amperage benefit of the LEDs. It is mounted with the adjustment stem coming through the dash, and jumper wires back to the fuse block, where teh stock relay plugged in.
    GZXY 3 Pin CF14 EP35 LED Flasher Relay for Turn Signal Bulbs adjustable(1 Pack) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01EYGKRXK/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_L-DoEbFMEY2WZ

SAITCHO likes this.
  12. SAITCHO

SAITCHO Active Member

Thanks for the info guys, I plan to build a steel rear bumper similar to yours Jigs but id rather use smaller lights that fit in the stock location. SDK do you have a link to where you bought yours?

13. SDK1968

SDK1968 Active Member

ive got the ebay link to his other store... they cost more there.. but you can search him out online & maybe catch him like i did with multiple listings & take the cheap one. :)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/LED-Tail-L...627413?hash=item1a29836815:g:vioAAOSwpP9Y7uOx

this same guy has them on amazon for $133, Etsy for $112, picclick, hdrsus & a dozen other places..... if ya watch careful he'll drop the price & try to get a bite, then list them as sold out at that place. i just kept clilcking around until the day they came up cheap & at that split second i yelled " gotcha!" & hit the button.

If you are in a hurry or lack patience? that ebay link is the best steady price.

14. SDK1968

SDK1968 Active Member

used my original Mini to do my driveway on Friday.... that worked so good that i built my front hitch for ZUKI last nite in the shop & got it on there... nice close profile hitch tha twill also accept my winch plate when needed.

didnt want to perma mount the winch cause it sticks out & its rarely needed. when i know im going over the hill into the questionable stuff? i'll throw it on & plug it in with the quick connects. will ad pix when the wiring is done.