1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Front end conversion?

Discussion in 'General Truck Info' started by Bruce W Dumont, Sep 20, 2019.

1. Bruce W Dumont

Bruce W Dumont New Member

I saw an ad for an outfit in Cincinnati selling all kinds of mini truck parts. Along with the usual stuff, he also listed something called a "front end conversion". I called the number but got some forein guy that I couldn't understand. Is this a way to convert a 2wd to 4wd? Is such a kit available otherwise? I've seen quite a few 2wd truck reasonably priced and if not too expensive, I would consider converting it to 4wd.

2. Jim Nelson

Jim Nelson Active Member

There was a thread a few years ago where someone tried to convert,I think an S80 Daihatsu, and it sounded like it was a lot more than he figured on. The S80,like mine, already has the transfer case in place so it sounds tempting. That thread changed my mind but I already had a Scrum 4X4 so just kept the Daihatsu for a cute around town truck. Good luck in your search.

3. Maximal

Maximal Active Member

its possible but keep in mind suspension setups, subframe setups, etc can be different on 4x4 vs 2WD. its less headache to get a 4x4 with a blown engine or something that needs a direct swap for cheap

4. Ohkei Dohkei

Ohkei Dohkei Active Member

Given the cost of these trucks, it would have to be a labor of love to convert vs. just sell and buy one already equipped. I'm not saying don't do it, I'm just saying love doing it.

5. ttc

ttc Active Member

Import a rusted out one from japan it run you I bet 1500 or less. Swap the parts across.