1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fluid types and Capacities for 93/94 Minicab?

Discussion in 'Mitsubishi Minicab' started by 98 SNAKE EATER, May 8, 2008.

1. slimbad

slimbad Member

Fluids 94 Mits (550cc 2wd)

Rick, I noticed in your other post that ur truck is a 94 Mits lhd/2wd. Here are the specs for a 2wd (550cc).

Engine oil - 2.9 qts (less filter). 10w-40 will be good for ur orlando driving (in NYC winter go with 5w-30)

Coolant system - 3.9 qts (including heater and coolant reserve tank). Use any high quality Ethylene Glycol antifreeze/coolant. (also look under the raised portion of the driver seat for coolant refill instructions (if you have an open/close position valve on ur radiator neck) this will prevent air pockets/blocks -let me know if you need further info on this.

Manual transmission - 1.5 pints (Hypoid gear oil 80w or 75w-85 conforming to API spec GL-4 or higher)

To check the tranny - remove the filler plug (midway on side of tranny oil shud be up to the lower edge of hole). If you desire to drain - there's a drain plug on bottom of tranny. (recommend a new gasket for drain plug)

Rear axle - 1.6 pints (85w-90)

Fuel tank - 7.9 gals

Brake fluid DOT 3 as needed (to check lift up the very left hand flat panel on dash - to the left of steering wheel).

(If/when you get a 4wd mits - manual tranny is 2.5 pints, front axle is 1.5 pints and rear axle 2.3 pints). Engine oil, coolant and fuell capacities/specs are the same as 2wd.

Enjoy your mits (my cuz has a 2wd and with about 300 lbs in the back of the truck it will pull/go through some pretty rough terrain). Hope this helps.........later, slim

icarusjapan, woopee and jwmorris like this.
  2. Awesome!!

Thanx for the info, Slim :)

Quick question....

I remember reading somewhere that they stepped up to 660cc motors after 1990 :confused:

Would this be true only for the 4x4's?

Not sure what year mine is, but the tag on the seatbelt says it was manufactured in 93 (can't make out the month as it's shredded off)

3. slimbad

slimbad Member

Rick,

You are correct about the engine change from 550cc(3G81) to the 660cc(3G83) in 1990. However that was in the Japanese Domestic Market (JDM) vehicles. This was due to a change of taxation laws regarding vehicle class (Kei) based on engine displacement. JDM thing.

In our case of lhd US market trucks not so. I really don't know the reason, possibly contract of specs for the vehicles or something. All of the mits up thru 94 that i have seen that were made specifically for US use are all 550cc (2wd and 4wd).

Anyway I think you will enjoy ur truck. If I can be of any assistance just ask. Or if you need some real assistance send up a flare and Dan the 550cc Guru will prob respond.....later, slim

Dan likes this.
  4. Thanx again, slim :)

Could the same be said for the other makes?

I'm looking at a hijet that's at the same place I got the Mitz...

Dunno anything about it except that it's a 2WD lefty with a 4 speed...

5. oldsnowman

oldsnowman Member

I imported my truck from japan and its a 92 mitsu with a 660cc 12 valve engine, is this differant then US trucks?

6. hturner

hturner New Member

tranny oil

my mitz has a crack in the transfer case and is leaking oil, it came from japan sealed with gray silicon, however after power washing the truck the seal broke and i spotted oil on the floor. The leak is a slow one. The oil looks thinner than 70 weight but I am not sure. The truck is still runnable but when I get back to the camp I would like to add some. (any Idea's)

7. TRAX and HORNS

TRAX and HORNS Well-Known Member

I just bought 2 Mits. that are 94 models left hand drive, 2x4, dump bed, USA marketed with 550cc engines. About 1 1/2 yrs ago I bought 2 Daihatsu's left hand drive, 2x4, 92 and 94 models and they also had 550 cc engine. So yes the trucks that were made for the USA market came with the 550cc engine even after 1990 for some reason. I have reason to believe all trucks 1990 and newer that were made in Japan for the Asia market went from 550cc to the 660cc engine. If anyone wants to correct me fill free.

8. TRAX and HORNS

Drain all the oil, clean crack, clean around crack and use some JB Weld. Or take to someone that can weld aluminum and patch it. If its late 80,s to 90's model it should take 75w/85 in the transfer case.

9. hturner

hturner New Member

oil in tranny

Thanks for the info, I hunt with the manager of an oil ref and he says that he has some stuff like jb weld that will seal even with oil coming out. This will get me through the end of hunting season. Oh! My truck is a 94 4x4. I can do the alumin weld. I do not know about taking the rear of the trany apart though. Thanks to this forum I do have a book on the elect system on the way.I have found this a good place to get info on the truck. (THANKS SO MUCH)

10. rynow

rynow Member

Oil change on 4wd 660cc automatic

Hey guys,

would these stats be the same for my 1992 4wd 660cc automatic?
    2.9 qt of oil.

What should I run in the summer versus the winter.
    It gets really hot here in summer and stupid cold in the winter.

I wanna change my oil right away.

Thanks
    R

11. Dan

Dan Member

I think its closer to 3.4 with the oil filter change added to the capacity.

A w-30 or 40 for the summer and a w-5 for the winter

12. mitsu911

mitsu911 Member

Here is what I have been able to decipher from other people's posts:

Corrections or additions are more than welcome (1992, 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999 Mitsubishi fluid capacities, drivetrain fluids, engine oil and filter):

Air Filter K&N 33-2740
    Antifreeze
    Capacity 3.9 qt?
    Battery? Napa 8223?

Brake fluid DOT 3

CV Boot napa 686-1188?

Differential
    Fluid SAE 90?
    Front .83 qt?
    1.5 pt?
    Rear 1.34 qt?
    2.3 pt?
    Fuel
    Capacity 7.9 gal.

Oil (engine) 10w30 or 10w40?
    Capacity 2.9 qt? less filter

Oil Filter? Wix 51394?
    Fram 1365?
    Napa 1365?

Shocks? NAPA 94009?

Spark Plug? NGK BKR-68?
    NGK BKR6E-11?

Transmission
    Fluid 75W-85W API rated GL4?
    Hypoid gear oil 80W
    ?.73 qt or possibly 2.5 pints?
    Checking Remove filler plug, oil should be to the lower edge of hole

Transfer Case
    Fluid 75W-85W API rated GL4?
    ?.73 qt or possibly 2.5 pints?

Misc Numbers

Mitsubishi - 660cc Oil Filter Air Filter Spark Plugs
    Napa FIL1356 K&N  33-2740 Denso K20PR-U11
    Wix 51356 Mitsubishi OEM MD620584

13. slimbad

slimbad Member

The fluid capacities for the Mits 3G81 (550cc) and 3G83 (660cc) should be the same regardless of year model. I'm not sure if the manual tranny's are different (4sp vs 5sp) in their fluid capacities.

Check your figures with the one's I posted in post #2 above. That info covers the 2wd and 4wd 3G81 (550cc) 4spd.

With all the question marks in your list it doesn't appear that you are too sure of your info, (typo?).

Also, you might want to recheck your math and edit your post with the following math conversions:

Front axle: 1.5 pints = .75 qts = 0.7 liters

Rear axle: 2.3 pints = 1.15 qts = 1.1 liters

Man Trans: 2.5 pints = 1.25 qts = 1.2 liters

Coolant: 3.9 qts = 3.7 liters (includes heater and coolant reserve tank)

Engine oil: 2.9 qts = 2.8 liters (excludes filter)

Fuel tank: 7.9 gal = 30l

later, slim

edited États-Unis pour convertir des mesures de mesures métriques pour nos membres du nord. Je m'excuse.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2009
  14. rynow

rynow Member

Oil filters

I can confirm that the NAPA 1365 oil filters do fit
    a 92 660cc mits bravo minicab.
    The napa fuel filter with the small barbs does not appear to be the right
    one. As it is plastic and the inline one on my model is metal and along the drivers side behind the front wheel.
    Still not sure what filter will fit.

I'd like to try the air filters listed here.

R

15. BC_MMC

BC_MMC Member

Seeing as how this site is mostly Cdn and US owners and we couldn't even agree on ounces, quarts and gallons for 200 years, how about we use metric? If we could even RTFM in Japanese it would give the figures in litres...

16. rynow

rynow Member

i agree where applicable

the only time we should be using imperial is for stuff like MPG, and measurements for north american parts that are normally measured in imperial...like rim sizes, bearings. but oil capacity, and other fluids should be in liters.

that seems to make sense considering that's the only way most fluids are sold to us here in Canada.

17. BC_MMC

BC_MMC Member

Even MPG is off. I couldn't figure out why my 55 Chevy got such lousy mileage in the USA when I took my first trip there back around 71, I thought it was the lower octane for regular!
    Then my Dad (a chemist at Chevron refinery) ragged me for not knowing a US gallon was 128 oz and an Imperial gallon was 160 oz... (and octane ratings have been standardized since then. The formulas to calculate that didn't even used match!)

But this litres/100km thing might be logical, it just doesn't sit right in my brain. I keep wanting kms/litre that seems more 'natural'.

18. Mr. T.

Mr. T. New Member

SLIMBAD
    Hope you still browse the Forum
    Finally got a 94 Mitsu Mini Cab Mighty, Right Hand Drive, 660cc 3 cyl, 5 spd, 4x4 last week.
    Drove it 5 hours to get it home. The trip normally takes 3, but I had to stick to all the secondary routes. What a fun vehicle to drive, and I mean drive, because you know your driving as opposed to cruising in an automatic in cruise.
    Thanks for all the flued types, and part numbers. Great help to all of us.
    Mr. T.
    2009 Ford Fusion SEL V6 AWD
    1994 Mitsubishi Mini Cab

19. Mr. T.

Mr. T. New Member

I agree with BC MMC
    I convert the liters to Imperial Gallons. 4.54 Lt to 1 Imp Gal.
    Or a visiting American could convert liters to US Gallons. 3.78 Lt to US Gal.
    I convert Kilometers to Miles. 1 kilometer X .63.
    Then my old logical brain can understand my fuel consumption.
    Once WE old pre-metric farts die off the problem will no longer exist, and those who think Imperial will be gone just like wall mounted bottle openers, continental wheels, and curb feelers.

20. slimbad

slimbad Member

Mr. T.,

Congrats on your 94 Mits. It's rare that I miss my daily Minitruck forum fix. I usually check it out between 3-6 AM (CST). If you ever want to determine when a member was last on the site, just click on the Members List at the top of the page and look up the member and it will give the last date visited.

I'm glad the fluid specs were of some use to you. If you have any questions - just post up, there's plenty of helpful people onboard...........later, slim

21. rynow

rynow Member

Hey my van is automatic and I'm wondering if and when I need to check the tranny fluid.
    Should I also look into the differential. I not a mechanic by any means but just wondering if I should have my shop look at this stuff. Anyone have fluid specs for automatics?

92 Minicab van
    4x4 3G38
    660cc turbo

22. TRAX and HORNS

Call minibrutes mini trucks in Canada or g and r imports. They'll know about the AT fluid. The rear diff. 85/90 will work. I think Daihatsu says 75/80 in the front diff. Shouldnt really matter. Get the name brand stuff. If you use a syn. gear lube you wont have to ever mess with it again(unless there is water contamination). "Amsoil" is my brand. The down side of using syn. oil on high mileage vehicles is that it will clean the small particulates out of the seals and you may start leaking a bit weather its used in the engine or tranny/diffs.. Thats a call you have to make. My personal truck has Amsoil in everything. I believe in it. A little on the pricey side but it sure does protect against over heating anything.

23. Nighthawk

Nighthawk New Member

Nighthawk,
    I have a 94 mtz dump with a 660cc.engine. What weight gear oil would I use in my transfer case and what amount?? Also need to replace a rear shock and figure on replacing the other three. Any one have any suggestions on model or stock number for replacements?? Thanks for any help and this is a terrific site to get information on mini's!!!!!

24. ozarkman

ozarkman Member

According to the Wix website, the correct oil filter for a 3G83 engine is a 51365 — did you transpose the last two digits?
    Check out http://www.wixfilters.com/Lookup/Applications.aspx?Section=7

25. Stevo

Stevo New Member

We use a 1996 Mitsubishi mini truck here where I work and we are looking to top off the tranny fluid. Found the filler plug, but what is the size of the plug itself?

26. Japanese Mini Truck

Japanese Mini Truck New Member

I agree with everything you said in this post. I'll be posting a video in my youtube.com channel of how to DO a very detailed Transmission fluid drained.

27. MikeD

MikeD Member

Got a link to that youtube channel?

Also a helpful tip to everyone out there, if you have any documentation or placards in the vehicle in Japanese, you can take a photo and ask Google Lens to translate it. It worked nicely on the engine placard and other jap writing around the truck.