1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Finished Headliner

Discussion in 'Suzuki Carry' started by installater, May 4, 2020.

1. installater

installater Active Member

So I installed some cab lights awhile back and now we have had plenty of rain and no leaks, must be
    living right, so went ahead with the liner
    thumbnail_1.jpeg IMG_0530.jpg IMG_0531.jpg IMG_0582.jpg IMG_0581.jpg
    Far from professional but it works for me
    Tinted the sides and back window while I waited to see if the roof would leak
    and some more rattle can painting
    thumbnail_4.jpeg thumbnail_6.jpeg
    Plus cleaned up the inside a bit
    thumbnail.jpeg thumbnail_1.jpeg
    Almost forgot put the summer tires on, not me shop did that also had the winter
    tires put on what will be the permanent winter rims
    . IMG_0552.jpg
    Regards
    Brian

Limestone and NCZ1 like this.
  2. Limestone

Limestone Well-Known Member

I like the looks of what you did! I pounded out some dents and dings in the roof after I removed, an old bubble, yellow strobe light, that my friend had on when he went on the road! I have to finish scraping the glued on foam, and clean that mess up, and then fill some small holes from the bubble beacon light! Did you use anything special on the glued on foam? To remove it!
    Limestone

3. installater

Thanks Limestone Nothing special, I used Goof off with a rag, kinda patting the roof, heat gun to make it more gooey and a plastic
    body filler applicator to scrape it off and some worn out T-shirts. The silver insulation was a piece of left over
    water blanket from the pump house and the thin grey carpet is from the auto store used to adsorb spills in your shop.
    And then you have a stiff neck when all said and done
    Regards
    Brian

4. Limestone

Yeah, that sound about right! Not really that big of an area, to get crazy over. I was just wondering, if maybe you might of had some kinda magical trick or potion, up your sleeve. Again, this is the whole reason for the forum, right! About that stiff neck. Yeah your right, I guess that's why I'll do a little, and then move on to something else a bit! It's not hard when you have a lot to do. It's an old timer trick! LOL! I can't wait to get the cab cleaned up like yours! I'm getting closer! Keep up the great work!
    Limestone

5. installater

Thanks Limestone, I appreciate it. About the forum what a great help its been never even knew
    what a Kei truck was till I saw a pic somewhere and then I knew I needed one. Found this forum
    and have been using it ever since. Would like to contribute more but I'm no where on a level of
    you guys, ill spent youth in all the wrong places.
    OH and by the way congrats on the 38th anniversary to u and your wife.

Limestone likes this.
  6. Limestone

Hey Install, were not on any particular level! LOL!!! We all have our strength's and weaknesses! It's kind of you to acknowledge! That's what makes all this work, as you know! I'll tell you, I'm grate full to all before us, some of these original post's go back to 2009! Some great info, throughout! Thanks to the moderators, and the rest of the Stewart's, of the forum! Thanks again for the kind words!
    Limestone

7. Limestone

Install,
    Got the headliner area inside de gooped, and cleaned up. Filled the small holes in the roof, and sealed them up! Seams like I was dragging my feet a little. As you once stated, you feel it in your neck, and the shoulders from the overhead scraping! Feels good to have that part done. Probably gonna just wind up re gluing the old headliner back in! Haven't got that far yet. Just some mixed ideas! Stay Healthy!
    Limestone

8. installater

Morning Limestone, way to go. When I removed my headliner I was not even sure what kind of material
    it was, very thin and brittle like. and of course 32 yrs of whatever absorbed in it not going back in over
    my head. Weather is turning and time to be out and about.
    Regards
    Brian

9. Jigs-n-fixtures

Jigs-n-fixtures Well-Known Member

Limestone, I’d recommend putting in new material. You can get it off of eBay, or from any local upholstery shop. Look for “foam lined headliner material”. If you have someone who can sew, you could get matching fabric to redo the seats to match the headliner.

You could really trick out your ride, by doing the seats, door panels and headliner to match.

Limestone likes this.
  10. Limestone

So, I decided to pitch the old headliner, on a very respect full friends advice! I still haven't decided what to use yet, but on his recommendation, for me to clean the inside of the roof very well, like you did, otherwise, like he said, from past experience, it will just be a continuous problem, trying to get the new product to stay up, no matter what, we do! Thanks for the heads up on this, it prompted me to push foreward and learn something new!
    Limestone

11. Limestone

Thanks Jig's, I like those thoughts too!

12. Jigs-n-fixtures

If your old one is intact, you should keep it for use as a pattern when you cut the new one.

Limestone likes this.
  13. Limestone

Roger that! I still have it and will take your advice on using it as a pattern! That old glue up there, is fun, to deal with. Between goo gone, accetone, and a razor scraper, I'm making slow headway!:rolleyes: I'm feelin the old back! Goodnight!
    Limestone

14. Jigs-n-fixtures

Limestone, on older vehicles you can normally sand it off. I’ve done it before with 120-grit on my d/a sander with the dust collector hooked up. Didn’t take long, and worked well. I reprimed mine while I had it exposed. I wasn’t sure that about half of it had never been primed. They figured it out that was interior and would be hidden by the headliner, so it just never got painted.

Last edited: May 12, 2020
  15. Limestone

Yeah, those were my thoughts exactly, until I saw how gooey and sticky the old foam, and glue was on this thing! I couldn't even imagine clogging up a sanding disc, no matter what grit, I would use!
    Limestone

16. Jigs-n-fixtures

I’ve never seen it as anything other than a overly dry powder, which is why the headliner was failing. But then again, I’ve always lived in pretty arid climates, and things dry out. I spent three decades in Vegas, and the Desert heat cook the solvents, and volatiles out of everything.

17. Limestone

Dry powder would have been nice!LOL If I didn't want to remove the yellow bubble light on top, and re route the wires, I wouldn't have had to take the headliner out, but in all honesty, it really needs to be re placed! I'll conquer it soon!!!o_O
    Limestone