1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Factory Tachometer

Discussion in 'Honda Acty' started by ShaneEM, Sep 25, 2019.

1. ShaneEM

ShaneEM New Member

Hello all!

This will be my first post here. I just purchased a 1997 Honda Acty SDX 5 speed 4wd. Waiting for her to come across the ocean to Canada. I've been following this forum for years in hopes that one day I would own a mini truck so thanks to everyone for the invaluable info!

My question is has anyone ever located/installed a honda acty factory cluster with a tach into a truck that never had one. I know in older civics and whatnot they were just plug and play but I know the Acty is a bit more of a simple concep . Still, I can't imagine honda would bother making 2 different harness'. I've searched though the forum to no avail.

Any help would be appreciated!

2. Maximal

Maximal Active Member

check if theres a connector behind the cluster, Civics used to have a spare floating connector behind the cluster of non-tach gauge cluster. if there isnt, you would have to find the pins on your tach gauge cluster and pin out the pins to wire them in yourself. tachs just get signal from coil negative

3. ShaneEM

ShaneEM New Member

Yeah that's basically what I figured. Thank you for the input. The tick seems to be actually locating a cluster with a tach.

4. Maximal

Maximal Active Member

Honestly it's probably just easier to get a autometer or generic aftermarket tach unless you're set on the factory look

5. ShaneEM

ShaneEM New Member

Oh I agree. Easier isnt prettier though yah know. I'll keep my eyes out for an OEM one.

6. Bert Stevens

Bert Stevens Active Member

I too want to do this, I bought the cluster from a van to get the tach. the plug is different, for the HH4 from the HA4, and so far I haven't gotten a wiring diagram or pin out for either cluster. I wish I had bought one with plug and some wire. I can figure out the pinout for myself, and run a tach wire from the coil if i have too. If anyone has a Van their Parting I will like some of the dash harness. Still looking for the factory manual. Not the English version. I have been told that the wiring diagram is wrong and incomplete. Still if someone who has that manual, could post a picture of that part of the diagram, I will be most grateful.

7. Bert Stevens

8. ShaneEM

ShaneEM New Member

You guys are awesome. Yeah a cluster with pig tails would be ideal but they seem even more rare than the clusters themselves. Wonder if a clip from an EF dash harness would work..hmm. So many things to think about. Beforward parts is a great place for acty stuff. I've been browsing them for a while.

9. Bert Stevens

I found this , if it helps. back of hh4 speedo. two plugs.

Attached Files:

10. ShaneEM

ShaneEM New Member

Oh wow that's awesome! Thank you! Very reminiscent of 91 civic si cluster.

11. Bert Stevens

91 has same long plug (12), smaller is 8 pin. could cut the ends off.