1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Extra fuse box

Discussion in 'Tips and Tricks' started by erixun, Dec 22, 2009.

1. erixun

erixun Member

So I wanted a auxillary fuse box to run all of my accessories, present and future. I have one circuit for the four 35 watt offroad lights now installed, one for a 2 meter ham radio. Coming are a separate internally switched bed light, and a winch that will be mountable in front and rear, on two separate circuits in case one dies in the middle of no where.

I mounted a plastic box that was "water proof" under my passenger seat, in between my "jack box" and motor. I ran a heavy duty lead from the battery to the fuse block, put it inside wire loom to help protect it. This could have been mounted on the side of the frame by the battery as well, but I did not want any body messing with it. From there I run my extra power needs to this box that is easily accessable and use common blade type fuses!

These pictures are before I ran my leads into the box, you can see the holes for the leads to come in. The box is obviously not water proof any more, but will keep about 95% of the elements out, you could silicone up the holes after running your wires.
    I also keep extra fuses in the blank circuits for spares.

I got the fuse block at an auto parts store for about $7 and the box at Waldo world for another $7.

DSCF1061.JPG

DSCF1062.JPG

DSCF1072.JPG

DSCF1082.JPG

Last edited: Dec 23, 2009
  2. fupabox

fupabox Well-Known Member

good idea...the stock fuse box on my daihatsu is only accessable to yoga instructors and marmosets:(

3. starpuss

starpuss Member

nice job. all i say it needs now is a little flat black paint.

4. Stuff99

Stuff99 Moderator Staff Member

that looks good actually. neat fuse block to.

5. jbrskeet

jbrskeet New Member

fuse box

where is the fuse box on the daihatsu?

6. greg0187

greg0187 Moderator Staff Member

accessory fuse box is under the dash left of steering wheel. Main fuse box under the drivers seat.

7. jbrskeet

jbrskeet New Member

thanks for the info. i have a problem with my taillights. i just bought some trailer (light/stop/blinker) lights and replaced the stock units. but i do not have brake lights. the fuse for stop lights look good. so i guess i have a wiring problem - the brake lights did not work before i installed the new lights. any suggestions?

8. greg0187

check the switch at the brake pedal.

9. jbrskeet

jbrskeet New Member

i'll check that asap and let you know. i recently got some carlisle all trail tires (23 x 8.00 x 12). Will these fit on the stock 7 in wheels? i have seen them on other trucks with stock rims, but was wondering if the wheels that i saw in pics were stock or aftermarket. the truck will be driven on the highway (Mississippi), so will they rattle me out, or should i just use them off-road?

10. jbrskeet

jbrskeet New Member

greg,
    one of the wires for the sensor had come off...coulda picked a better place to put it. i appreciate the help.

11. greg0187

Glad you got it fixed! Those tires should work but I don't recommend them for highway use. The occasional back road no problem. For some reason im thinking I saw that the ideal all trail size for stock rims was 23x7-12 but I think others have used the 23x8 successfully.

12. jbrskeet

jbrskeet New Member

what kind of tires do you recommend for on-road use and that fit to stock wheels? most sites that i have visited don't really specify.

13. greg0187

Im not sure about that. I think most are going up to 13" and running snow tires.

14. firejonny89

firejonny89 Member

i copied ur ideal box from wally world and fuse block from auto store all under 20 bucks

15. erixun

erixun Member

Cool. Mine is still holding up great, as is the one my brother made in his Rhino.

Did you mount it in the same spot? On the jack holder/bracket? Or somewhere else?

16. firejonny89

firejonny89 Member

i goin to mount it close to the same spot i just picked up the stuff today waitin on the lights lol

17. lawdog49

lawdog49 Member

so how did you mount the box? more details about that would be great. I am about to mount a 'real' battery (group 78 car battery) and run new battery cables. I have too many things I am trying to tie in to the + so your idea is great. I also have an old GM si alternator I want to try and fabricate a mount for, but that will have to wait til after hunting season.

18. erixun

erixun Member

Sorry... been busy and have not been on here in a little bit, I just used self tapping screws to mount the box. Held the box with one hand and just drilled through the box and into the jack "holder" metal. I ran three screws and has held just fine so far.

I am going to install a bigger battery "small car size" soon as well, I think I am going to just weld up some angle iron in the same spot as the current battery. Also thought about getting a metal jerry gas can holder (the military surplus ones are pretty robust- atleast thicker than the new ones being made) and mounting it on the frame. I think 5 gallons of gas would weigh more than the smaller car battery, so it should be ok.