1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Extended Cab Kits

Discussion in 'Tips and Tricks' started by plotman, Jan 29, 2014.

1. plotman

plotman Member

I have nearly given up on trying to find a clean Super Jumbo and am now considering a standard cab and possibly adding one of the "extensions" that look similar to the super jumbos. Has anyone ever done this conversion and if so was it worth the effort and expense? Who carries the kits primarily for late model daihatsu or suzukis? Thanks for any input.

2. Jim Nelson

Jim Nelson Active Member

Check with Terry Bearden who posts as trax and horns ,he's had experience with them.I think it's Bulldog that does them but Terry will steer you in the right direction.

3. ace cutter

ace cutter Member

Ace cutter has one for sale look at member gallery under bulldog build. Bulldog Suzuki. It's a 2000 with a/c heat xtended cab Snorkeled rhino lined. Lifted. Two sets of tires and wheels. 770-235-1160.

4. ace cutter

ace cutter Member

Pictures of the build or on there. It's a super good truck. Bulldog is out of business now I bought this one in 2008 and did a lot of beefing up over 15,000 invested

5. plotman

plotman Member

ace cutter sent you a message requesting more info and pics. anybody still making the extended cab kits or these, most importantly for the later model units? Any leads are appreciated, thanks in advance.

6. TRAX and HORNS

TRAX and HORNS Well-Known Member

I dont know anybody that is building the extended cabs anymore. C. Allen in Louisiana is who I was using but Chris went off the radar sometime ago and closed his shop. By far he was the best. I believe he's in west Texas building a pipe line. Got to go where the money is, right.
    Would it be worth it? yea, I think so. There's a awful lot of room to store things out of the elements back there. Is it simple? yea, but time consuming and you need access to a bending machine.
    When I had Chris do mine he would rough it in and I would finish them. The best part about doing it is that one 4'x8' sheet is just wide enough to make the cab with no seams other than at the very bottom on each side where you would run a 1/2" angle iron to weld to bed. Theres enough material to make 4 two feet deep cabs.
    The last trk. I saw Chis build was about 4' deep and had nice little aluminum door mounted in the rear and had small flip up doors on both sides.

7. muddy moose

muddy moose Member

Awww maaaan.......why did ya have to describe that last one.............Thanx a lot bud!!! Now I'm going to be drawing that out and trying to figure out if it's worth the loss of my bed space hahaha. I was thinking of something similar but removable. Could have the extender on when needed and take it off when ya need the entire bed. Just have a rear panel to put on in its place and use spring tension latches.........dang it........Thanx again for that trax hahaha

8. plotman

plotman Member

Lots of good ideas so far. I am looking at the extra room for not only me but, my gun,bow and associated video gear we are filming our hunts with. The first thing I need to do is find the right truck and then decide if the extra room is needed for my 6,2" 230 frame. If in fact a later model cab has enough leg/body room I could just build a full bed topper or something similar to those "sleeper kits" you used to see for pickups which was kinda like a short removable topper. I really like the interior space of the deck vans but, that comes at the cost of giving up alot of bed space not to mention the lack of hi/lo.

Crowsridge likes this.
  9. muddy moose

muddy moose Member

Have you seen the 4 door mini trucks? I can't think of the name of them.......dfm......or something like that. .....After seeing one of those I think I want one. I'm 6'4" 225....... my carry is a tight fit hahaha but a 4 door with a bed......... and they just look cool hahaha. Here's a link to a video I found
    http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=sB1xPs0gdjc&desktop_uri=/watch?v=sB1xPs0gdjc

10. plotman

plotman Member

The crew cab mini trucks look ideal however, All of the ones I have seen are of chinese origin and have little to no support for parts.

11. woodhe1

woodhe1 Member

All Chinese except for the Daihatsu Deck Van. Lost of horror stories about the Chinese vehicles. PM me and I'll give you an email address of a University mechanic who works on them.

12. muddy moose

muddy moose Member

I've been hearing nothing but bad about them hahaha I just like the 4 doors. Be nice to pop the cab on my carry

13. plotman

plotman Member

got a quote of nearly $2700.00 to add a cab extension to a standard cab!!! When trying to justify a mini truck over a utv its getting tougher to do, considering I cannot even find one that meets my criteria. And I thought the tough part was gonna be trying to find replacement parts.

14. TRAX and HORNS

TRAX and HORNS Well-Known Member

Two more things I will mention about a C. Allen extended cab truck. He would cut the complete back out of the single cab. When he went to reinstall seats he would sit them back about 2". That extra 2" makes a world of difference if you are over 6' tall +. You would still be able to use the seat adjustment on drivers side which gives you another couple of inches.
    YES, stay away from the China made 2 or 4 door. Total "JUNK" IMO. Been there done that, never again. You cant give me one.

David Bell and muddy moose like this.
  15. woodhe1

woodhe1 Member

UW Madison Mitsubishi #58 002.jpg View attachment 13103
    Mit. Ex. Cab option is about $3500