1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Engine & Solid Axle Swap Build

Discussion in 'General Truck Info' started by greg0187, Nov 3, 2008.

1. keep up the good work... im shopping for a truck still and already plotting. considering just doing a solid axle front swap with double triangulated 4 link front for articulation and traditional triangulated 4 link in the rear for some stability. it should twist like a 14 year old gymnist:) now... all i have to do is get a truck!

2. greg0187

greg0187 Moderator Staff Member

I got the steering linkage parts. But still waiting for the coil over shocks.... Its been 3 weeks now. After I get them I will have a roller.

3. greg0187

Santa (aka UPS) dropped off two packages today. Pics are of what was in one of them. Just need to find some time to install. I didn't realise the resovoirs were going to be a foot long.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

4. Mighty Milt

Mighty Milt Active Member

those are sexy dude!!

most of the reservoirs are pretty easy to mount / conceal. you have probably seen them, but if not, there are simple bolt on retainers for them... some are billet and clamp to roll cages, others will just bolt down with a couple bolts.

5. Shrimp Daddy

Shrimp Daddy Member

Great progress. I really enjoy reading the updates in this thread. Can't wait to see the pictures and video of the completed project.
    Thanks Greg!

6. woodsrat

woodsrat New Member

Some pretty neat info and cool looking stuff here, Now I just need time to start some of this to my truck.

7. greg0187

Thanks all! Got the shocks mounted this weekend. Here's some crappy camera phone pics. Ground clearance isn't going to be a problem... The bed floor is 40" from the ground.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

8. Acerguy

Acerguy Moderator Staff Member

Wow! That is going to be very cool. :eek:

9. Mighty Milt

that's just sick!! is that full hydro up front?

10. greg0187

Yeah. Its going to be full hydro front and rear. At this point I might as well go all out. :D

11. trailcarnage

trailcarnage New Member

You are such a bad influence! I have a jacked-up Rhino and want a cab/heater. Can't afford to throw another $4,000 after the $9,000 I already have into it. Then it is still a 2-seater. ;(

I decided on a Deck Van with front and rear hydraulic steering, cut down truck axles, air shocks, 31" cut Swampers. I was considering keeping the factory 660 though. Will this have enough nuts to spin 31's using 3.73 gears? I am not sure if a FWD package will fit under the Van cab. Does anybody have a feel for this? Can the floor simply be cut and bumped up?

12. 93mit

93mit Member

Anything is possible with a cutting torch and a welder.

13. trailcarnage

trailcarnage New Member

True, I just wasn't sure if it would screw with the rear seat mounting.

14. zardoz

zardoz Member

OK greg.... how much to come up to my place and build up my rig to be just like yours? ;)

Very nice work greg, glad to see someone do some real "engineering" to make things happen... tired of seeing the same old posts... "I want to lift my rig 6 inches". Gone are the days of "hockey puck" body lifts (not that they didn't work... I'd just like to think we are a wee bit more sophisticated now).

Can't wait to see your finished product !!!

z

ps: the only thing that could add to your new suspension (IMHO) would be an all stainless body and frame for the truck ;)

Last edited: Nov 13, 2009
  15. greg0187

Thanks! Right now i'm thinking when I get this one done I'm going to try to sell it because I already want to build another one. Just depends on if I can go that long without driving. I'm already having withdrawls from not being in the drivers seat. One thing for sure it hasn't been cheap and the man hours involved is insane. If I do sell it there won't be any profit, but I don't care because I like doing this kind of stuff.

16. Mighty Milt

with enough gear reduction and RPM you can do anything you want ;)

17. 3banger

3banger Member

Take a look at phantom grip. It's a cheap peace of steel that slaps into a honda to lock up the diff under load.

I've been thinking of putting a large 4x4 quad powerplant in my minicab and using suzuki samurai axles with a 4 link front and rear... but I'm too lazy.

18. greg0187

LOL. I'm not sure if it will clear the door or not. I measured it and its gonna be close.

19. hoseclamp

hoseclamp New Member

Awesome thread!

20. greg0187

Truck made it out of the garage today. First time in almost a year! It was a rainy day so no pics but I got curious how it would articulate. Not too bad... The jack was maxxed out. Definatly some more available.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

21. fupabox

fupabox Well-Known Member

jesus hangliding christmas...that's sweet:eek:

22. slimbad

slimbad Member

Damn Greg the last time I saw that much articulation was when my Ex-Girlfriend..............But, I digress:sly:. Anyway the build is looking Great. You prob will be bailing out of this site and moving over to one of those "rock crawler" sites:D

Greg you and your family have a Happy New Year.........later, slim

23. o8k

o8k Member

Verry impressive!!!

24. starpuss

starpuss Member

dam! looks good!

25. minydigger

minydigger Member

whats the plan for for connecting the half shafts to the yokes on the 30's? and wheres the pics with the engine installed

26. greg0187

See this post at pirate 4x4. It shows how I plan on connecting the driveshafts. The entire thread is a great read. I also came up with another option that you might be interested in. I just need to find the parts I came accross a while back. I only have one pic with the engine installed. It should be going back into the truck in the next couple weeks. I included a link for this as well.

drive flange link: http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showpost.php?p=6744713&postcount=93

Engine installed link: http://www.minitrucktalk.com/showpost.php?p=35939&postcount=88

27. greg0187

Rolled the truck out of the garage yesterday. Took some better pics.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

28. greg0187

More pics...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

29. fupabox

fupabox Well-Known Member

Theres your problem right there...That will never go straight down the road..your back wheels are turned ??:p...obviously kidding...can you mail me some of your fabbing skills..just a bit...you seem to have more than enuf to spare..looks sweet as hell:):)

30. greg0187

Engine In... I'm redoing the mounts to make it sit lower on the chasis. This is a lot of motor for this little truck. Right now it sits about 6" higher than the bed floor.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Attached Files: