1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Engine Manufacturer

Discussion in 'General Truck Info' started by boatman, Oct 23, 2008.

1. boatman

boatman Member

Hey -

So all these older trucks - the Daihatsu's, the Suzuki's, the mitsu's, the subaru's... they all have basically the same engine and transmission? Ok I know they all have different designations and codes, and some are 4 speed and some are 5, but essentially the engines are all 660 cc 3 cylinder jobbies, no?

So - does each company actually cast they're own version of the engine block, head, etc... or is this a case of one company building the short or long block engine and all the others bolting on their goodies onto it? Hard to believe that all of the manufacturers would go to the expense of developing their own version of what are essentially the same engines isn't it?

same question for trannies, differentials and xfer cases...

I dunno - just asking. I haven't done any more on mine yet beyond checking oil and marvelling at how compact a setup it is...

2. cmaranto

cmaranto Member

Engine/Tranny

Every Manufacturer builds their own powerplant and gearbox (Mazdz buys a Suzuki). Very little interchange of parts or design unfortunately

Chuck near Indy

3. oldsnowman

oldsnowman Member

only three of these brands use 3 cylinders the subaru is a 4 cylinder:) for all of these company's to use the same engine would be like ford, chev, and dodge using the same engine:(. the 550 & 660 is a class of vehicle in japan so everyone make one for this market.
    wyatt

4. Timetripper

Timetripper Moderator

Just like Nascar dictates what size engine, spoiler size , etc to the racers. In Japan these vehicles are refered to as "kei" class. It has to be a certain size [lenght x width] and restricted to 660 cc [used to be 550 cc] and they also have passenger cars as well that below to this class.

5. kalmac

kalmac New Member

ok i get all that but?
    as mine is a 3 pot but 850cc was that built for export to the uk or????

6. Mighty Milt

Mighty Milt Active Member

yes it was.

7. boatman

boatman Member

ok - I realize now that may not have been the most intelligent question to ask - but thanks for the info anyway!