1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Electrial Short

Discussion in 'Tips and Tricks' started by ltclarry, Mar 17, 2008.

1. ltclarry

ltclarry New Member

Hi all.1993 Suzuki-- tail light -doom light -dash lights are out. As soon as i put 15a fuse in it poops.Strange thing is when i open driver side door high beam light on dash goes on. When i close door it goes out!Traced wire from tail lights to dash no breaks.have not pulled dash out yet/

2. Timetripper

Timetripper Moderator

Don't forget to check your ground wires as well. I once owned a Toyota Camray that had a faulty ground on the rear window defogger grid and when I turned on the defogger it would back feed through the license plate light [in the rear hatch] ground causing the light to turn on dimly. Once I discovered the ground problem on the defogger and ran a new wire to the body to complete the circuit it ended all problems.
    Not saying this is your problem just something to keep in mind

3. greg0187

greg0187 Moderator Staff Member

Good point TT. That would help understand why the high beam light comes on when the door is opened. The door switch works by grounding a wire when the door is opened.

-Greg

4. glenn

glenn Member

sounds like a ground out, is the cigarette lighter on the same fuse? was anything else tied into that fuse line?
    I had a car once that had a cigarette lighter ground out and only when I used my horn or hit a big bump would it blow the dome, dash and radio fuse( all hooked up to the same fuse!!!
    glenn

5. ltclarry

ltclarry New Member

No cigarette lighter, blows fuses when truck is not moving.I will start checking ground wires.Will advise!!! TKS LTC