1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Driving in Wind

Discussion in 'General Truck Info' started by jtpc, Feb 19, 2009.

1. jtpc

jtpc Member

Hey guys,

Seeing these trucks are light weight and narrow, the wind kinda blows them around and will limit their power if driving against the wind.
    So I'm curious what is the max wind levels you will actually drive you mini-truck in?

I am in a windy area that stays windy most of the time except come August.
    We can go months with 20-35mph wind. It gets annoying.
    So far I haven't driven my truck if the wind is above the 15-25mph range for the forecast, but with this rule I haven't been able to drive my truck much because it has been at least that windy for days now.

So I was just curious what levels of wind you guys choose to drive (or not drive) your trucks in.

~Josh

2. cabinmini

cabinmini Member

Headwinds

Yup Headwinds suck:mad:.
    Around here it can be pretty windy. It is not unusual to get winds from 70-100kms/hr (45-60mph) on average once a week. Summer is usually less windy than the rest of the seasons. We are also at about 3300' elevation and that makes a difference too. Anyways I limit my distances if the wind is over 50km/hr (30mph) and I may even travel in a different direction or use roads less travelled depending on wind conditions. The cross winds are a bit annoying but manageable. It is the headwinds that are a real pain. Tailwinds are :cool:. Push you right up those long hills:D
    Jim

3. minimurph

minimurph Member

4. Mighty Milt

Mighty Milt Active Member

i drove mine everyday regardless of forcasted wind, rain or whatever... they are a pretty stable platform, you just don't go as fast when you're driving into a headwind... but it's awesome when you get a tailwind :D

5. andy_george

andy_george Member

Like Milt said, side to side winds kinda toss mini's around, but no worse than driving anything else with a large, flat side. Head winds are the most annoying, though... with a strong headwind I record my 0-60mph sprint on a sundial:)

6. Windmill

Windmill Member

I know what you mean Josh. Right now the winds outside is brutal. I am heading into town and I am thinking of firing up the Dodge 2500. When it gets to be 30mph and above it kind of defeats the purpose of trying to get 35mpg when your foot is all the way to the floor and you are going 45pmh.

7. oldsnowman

oldsnowman Member

i have drove in all sorts of conditions, heavy rain with wind, and lots of wind from all sides...once my truck is at 100k it does not seem to have any trouble with power loss or moving around, just passing highway trucks with the wind behind me is pretty tricky :D
    wyatt

8. confuzed

confuzed Member

Prairies lots of wind here never kept me off the roads just pay more attention to structures and trees on sides of roads in crosswinds.

9. jtpc

jtpc Member

Ha :D Yes, very true. I see closer to 27mpg when it is so windy. And I don't like the idea of flooring it and slowing down so much on hills. Feels like I'll be run over. So on windy days I don't drive it unless I'm on backroads only.

~Josh

10. jtpc

jtpc Member

Good info. Seems the Japanese have to deal with wind over there as well.
    Windy days = backroads only for my truck. I don't want a wreck.

11. Windmill

Windmill Member

Got home tonight at about 8:30pm. Wind blowing 45 out of the south. Rain so hard could not see pass the wind shield. Actually drove off the road and could not tell where I was at for 10 minutes. Lucky thing I had 4 wheel drive or I would still be there.

12. Schick

Schick Member

My truck isn't quite a mini, but...

Myt little Titan gets punished in a strong headwind. I dropped from 110 kph to about 80-90 kph. I think that as the truck shares a similiar front end shape as the mini, headwinds have a strong effect.