1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Driveline noise

Discussion in 'Suzuki Carry' started by Des, Dec 15, 2016.

1. Des

Des New Member

Hi All,

The truck is a 1996 DD51T with 4 speed transmission and 2H 4H N 4L transfer.

I've noticed a bit of driveline noise on the truck. It sounds like gear chatter / vibration that comes in at around 40km/h and then disappears over 45 ish in top gear. The sound is only heard under acceleration. If you lift off and maintain speed or slow down the sound goes away.

I've checked the u-joints and they seem ok. No obvious movement.

I've had a look at the transmission mounts and they had a bit of corrosion and splitting of the rubber so I have ordered a new set as they aren't going to get any better. The transmission does move around quite easily on the mounts.

While pulling around with the u-joints and drive shaft, etc. I did notice that the rear output from the transfer case does have some lateral play in it. Is this normal?

Thanks in advance for any input.

2. Des

Des New Member

Still rattling. Any ideas?

3. Wheelie

Wheelie Member

sounds like a CV joint noise or transfer case chain slap. Could also be in the rear end. A fluid inspection would show any signs of metal.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2017
  4. fmartin_gila

fmartin_gila Well-Known Member

Can you get it off the ground so you can rotate wheels and driveshafts individually while feeling at each bearing place to see if you can feel any roughness? How about fluid levels? Did you ck for any metal in the fluids.

Fred

5. KCCats

KCCats Active Member

I had a weird noise and when I took the truck to Chicago (200mi trip)
    It just went away?
    I have changed all the fluids including the trans with the #4 Syn Dif lube from like Royal Purple or something like that?
    The newer syn are all #5 and that's not good on these older trans!