1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Drift Sambar Project (questions, then build thread)

Discussion in 'Subaru Sambar' started by WELDER, Jan 16, 2010.

1. WELDER

WELDER Member

First off, I'd just like to say hello to everyone.

I've been wanting a Kei truck for a while now. Just bought one, now I'm happy as can be :D

My 1990 Sambar Deluxe is up for the DD/drift project.

New coil, cap, rotor, wires, plugs, oil and air filters on on the way. Once all that's done, we'll see if I need to do an engine swap or custom turbo setup. Your site has already been very helpful, as most of you are quite knowledgeable.

I have the suspension, engine, transaxle (no need to weld the rear end in these trucks :p) and weight reduction all figured, but I have a few questions about wheel and tire combo's, mounting, etc.

I am running the stock wheels with the skinny pizza cutters (already drift well with them). Now, although it comes across as a silly question, can I mount the wheels backwards, to get a wider stance? I know that with my wheeling trucks, the wheels are strong enough for this, trying to find out if this is true for the Sambar.

Thanks in advance.

2. starpuss

starpuss Member

i think you should order a new set of rims and tires and get them with the offset you want.

3. Acerguy

Acerguy Moderator Staff Member

:pop: Welcome! I'll be watching. :pop: :)

4. WELDER

WELDER Member

A new set of proper wheels is for sure the right direction.

starpuss, do you have a favorite wheel company for Kei trucks?

I'm off to the tire rack to see what they have, but please let me know if you think of anything in the 12x7 or 13x7 deep-dish style.

Today is the first day of heavy modification, the AM radio and speakers are coming out :) Should cut a few pounds there.

Have a good one!

5. WELDER

WELDER Member

Ok, wheels will be a set from michtrucks.com.

Now, as for tires, I'm looking for two good low-pro's up front, I will use the stock tire out back. thetirerack.com has jack-all for R12's, so still searching for a good front tire, the grippier the better.

Any links to companies who make such a tire would be great. To my knowledge, Falken doesn't make anything in this range.

6. fupabox

fupabox Well-Known Member

In North America the 12" tire is going the way of the DoDo bird..if you are drifting the truck you are going to be eating tires like M&Ms:p best to go up to a 14 or 15 where low profiles are going to be obtainable

7. WELDER

WELDER Member

Yup, just found out that 12's are being/have been discontinued for the most part. My problem with 13's was rotational weight, since we don't have much power to toss around on this build ;) BUT, since there are many many more option in the 13" range, a very low profile 13" tire will have the same outer diameter.

The search continues, off to Canadian Tire!

Thanks for the help to far, keep it coming if anyone has any ideas for the build, or questions.

8. fupabox

I'm using Honda VX rims on mine..with 175/70/13s each corner is 1/2 pound lighter than stock 145s on stock steel wheels:)

9. WELDER

WELDER Member

So I'm guessing the VX rims are 4x100? How are the tires? Do the 70's feel squishy?

10. fupabox

compared to the stock 145/80s these are far superior for cornering and stability.I wouldnt compare a 70 series to anything remotely performance oriented though..The only drifting I do is in the snow tho..rarely use the 4wd unless necessary....:)

a 185/50/14..or 165/60/13 will keep you around the 21" stock diameter ..try using this tire calculator..it's the best on the net and provides visual as well as all other info for tire swaps
    http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

11. Acerguy

12. WELDER

WELDER Member

Thanks fupabox.

Acerguy, those toyo's look great, but I already grabbed a set of 13's. Maybe I'll get a set of 14's for the rear if i don't like the 13's.

13. Ironraven

Ironraven Active Member

Awesome. In for vids of you drifting your truck :cool:

14. WELDER

WELDER Member

Trying to get the turbo sorted out. By the time it's done, my wheels and tires will be here. Then I'll post up some vids :pop:

15. Ironraven

Ironraven Active Member

Just quick curiosity question... I know some Subies are supercharged, why not try and source a factory supercharger system? It might be easier... just a thought.

16. WELDER

WELDER Member

I thought of that also, but decided against it for numerous reasons:

-Superchargers, for the most part, are great for creating gobs of torque at low rpm. To drift with an engine starting with only 46 horse (correct me if I'm wrong), the power needs to be in the mid-high rpm's.

-Sourcing parts for a supercharger from the SC'd version of the 660 is easier said than done I think; in these parts anyway.

I will keep my eyes open though, always nice to have the option.

By the way, if anyone who's rear this threadhas some basic knowledge of turbo's, please pop into this thread and post up any helpful info ;)

17. ukmicro

ukmicro Member

Just a thought, regarding turbochargers the Smart car by Mercedes comes with a 660cc turbo lump as standard, RWD rear engined - good for over 100MPH, possible transplant??????:sly:

18. o8k

o8k Member

Does the Samar come equiped with an Anti-sway bar? The Suzuki Carry's typically dont.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2010
  19. WELDER

WELDER Member

Good thinking ukmicro, but I'm not drifing a diesel :p

O8K, up front or in the rear? The rear, as you may know, is independent, each wheel in the rear has a sort of control arm. I will me fabbing up some sway bars front and rear for the actual project though.

20. Acerguy

21. WELDER

WELDER Member

Domo Arigato Acerguy

22. WELDER

WELDER Member

Ordered the turbo, intercooler, BOV and fuel pressure regulator.

Looking for a 5-7" tach with an idiot light, and a "simple" rev limiter.

23. DriftingMinis

DriftingMinis New Member

Depends what swap you want to do.

The trucks are to small for a true RWD longitude motor, or without creating a stupid shift design. (tried to fit a Sr20det)

Easiest and what i will be doing when i have more time for my drift truck.
    A FWD motor w/ cable shifting mounted in the rear, and just lock the steering.

24. WELDER

WELDER Member

Sounds like you misjudged the the size of the SR20 compared to our trucks:sly:

Please post up pics once you get on it again.

Why lock the steering?

25. DriftingMinis

DriftingMinis New Member

No, i just had a spare Sr20, it wouldve fit. And i could make it fit, itll just be easier for my new motor setup.

If you put a FWD motor and subframe in the back, itll have steering so you will want to lock it straight. It'll be the same setup idea as your subby is now except w/ a lot more power. heck 100hp will drift in this thing.

But i will be going 200hp/200tq :pop:

26. Ironraven

Ironraven Active Member

Way too much power for a mini truck IMO. A gifted drifter doesn't rely on power, but skill. Sounds like you know what you're doing though so I'll assume you are a talented driver WITH too much power which is a dangerous combination lol :D Have fun, but be safe out there...

27. WELDER

WELDER Member

Agreed, haha.

28. Ironraven

Ironraven Active Member

Not to say that you can't be gifted AND have too much power (just look at the Gimkana circuit or however it's spelled lol) but IMO skill comes first and power second. That's one reason why the AE86 is so popular in drifting. It FORCES you to become a skilled driver due to it's lack of power.

29. WELDER

WELDER Member

Couldn't have said it better myself.

There are lots of drift cars out there pushing 1200 and up hp, but my DH bike is almost as long as my Sambar! I think 100hp will keep it sideways, if not, I have a 200 shot N2O kit around here somewhere :D

Back to the thread though. I received email verification just now that my parts have shipped. Shipping is 5-8 business days, so pretty happy about that. In the mean time, still searching for a tach, idiot light, rev limiter, and a good chunk of tube to use for a stack;)

30. WELDER

WELDER Member

May have just have a large wrench thrown into my build. I need your guys' help to identify my engine, or more importantly, the fuel delivery system.

I was rocking along with this build thinking it was an EFI engine. It is a 91 Sambar Pickup 4cyl Clover 660cc.

The two vin-looking numbers are ks4022900 and ks4a32n.
    Does the "a" in ks4a32n mean that it is carbed?