1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DMV Tips and Necessary Forms

Discussion in 'Tips and Tricks' started by Ashnkooshe, May 12, 2017.

1. Ashnkooshe

Ashnkooshe New Member

After 4 tries at the DMV, here are the forms I was required to have to get my truck registered in Nevada. Hopefully I'm not forgetting anything but this info would have been helpful to me in the beginning cause I only had a couple of the necessary papers.

Emissions exemption form given by the people at the VIN inspection and emissions testing center. There was only one DMV in town that did this. They had to look at the papers and my truck and decide it was exempt. They didn't care about the papers I had stating it was exempt. They will give you a VIN inspection paper to take inside the DMV.

Export certificate - Translated from dmv official translator. The translator has to have a "T Number."

Japanese purchase order from Japanese company to the importer. It must have the Japanese address on it. If it is still in Japanese, it will also need to be translated.

Purchase order from importer to you. No hand written bill of sale would be accepted.

Statement of facts signed by importer.

Form 7501 - entry summary

It seems like they REALLY wanted to deny me in any way they could. I don't think I would have ever succeeded if I couldn't get the importer to come with me the 4th time.

If I could do it over again with all of the relevant paperwork, I wouldn't let them know all of the papers I had until they asked because it really seemed like they were trying to figure out how to stop me next. When 4 people are gathered around the papers scratching their heads and then they all perk up and look happy as the lady comes over to say, "Unfortunately, we're not going to be able to complete this today without ......" Even the importer noticed something seemed off and like they were trying really hard to "win."

Rant over. Make sure you have those papers, hand them the translated export certificate and original and just keep waiting for them to ask for more things. If they have to go back n forth 5 times maybe they'll stop trying to win and just give in. Most of them don't enjoy standing up. lol

Good luck!!

bentresearch and Acerguy like this.
  2. Acerguy

Acerguy Moderator Staff Member

Thanks for posting this here as well as on the FB group. It can be searchable hopefully help other folks out in the future! :)

Ashnkooshe likes this.
  3. Ashnkooshe

Ashnkooshe New Member

No problem! Together we can fight the evil DMV and win! Haha

4. Tuskano

Tuskano Member

Glad again you got your stuff all good'n done! Seemed Nevada that time was just being too stubborn!

5. Terry H

Terry H Member

I’m going to be trying this in Ohio, not really looking forward to it tho

Kevin Y likes this.
  6. Clauss

Clauss New Member

Wow! Makes me glad I live in New Hampshire. All I had to do here was bring a 1/2 page VIN verification form to my local garage, pay $5 for them to sign off on it and turn it in at the city offices. Got it registered the day after I got it with no additional hassles. I was expecting all sorts of problems after the horror stories I had read about on here in other states. I guess with a state motto of "live free or die (driving a mini truck)" I shouldn't have been surprised.

7. Nautydog1

Nautydog1 Member

You can register the kei trucks in nevada as a OHV “off highway vehicle” and there is two stickers for the ohv! Get the larger ohv sticker because it can be ran on city and county roads. https://ohv.nv.gov/

8. My58

My58 New Member

I realize this is an older post, but just thought I would mention they can be registered in AZ with a bit of effort as regular freeway allowed vehicle.

9. Nautydog1

Nautydog1 Member

I will check into that here in nevada

10. Kevin Y

Kevin Y New Member

I know its an old post but how was the outcome ?

11. Nautydog1

Nautydog1 Member

I ended up registering ohv and I can drive it on my city streets and county roads. Just can’t take it down the highway!

Kevin Y likes this.
  12. Kevin Y

Kevin Y New Member

Ohv ? Off road ?

13. Kevin Y

Kevin Y New Member

Thank you ! Email information arrived !

14. Nautydog1

Nautydog1 Member

ATTN: OHV SECTION
    555 Wright Way Carson City, NV 89711
    (775) 684-4381
    www.ohv.nv.gov
    OFF-HIGHWAY VEHICLE INSPECTION CERTIFICATE For Off-Highway Vehicle Identification Number Verification
    NRS 490.082 and 490.105
     This application must be completed if the Off-Highway Vehicle (OHV) has never been registered or titled in Nevada, or if the owner is unsure if the OHV has ever been registered or titled in Nevada.
     This application must be completed by a Nevada licensed OHV dealer or Law Enforcement Officer. The DMV does not perform off-highway vehicle identification number (VIN) inspections.
     If the OHV does not have a vehicle identification number or the VIN has been removed or is illegible, indicate by checking the box that states “A VIN was not found, has been removed or is illegible.” Complete the remainder of the form and give the form to the customer. The customer must take the OHV and the completed form to a DMV inspection station. Even if no VIN is found, this form must be completed by an OHV dealer or member of law enforcement and given to the customer.
     No other OHV transactions can be completed at DMV offices. All forms and fees must be mailed to the DMV at the address above, or taken to a licensed Nevada OHV dealer.
     Please visit the OHV Commission website at www.ohv.nv.gov for additional information.
    To be completed by a Nevada licensed OHV dealer or any Law Enforcement Officer
    Please Type or Print Using Blue or Black Ink
    I certify that I have examined the following Off-Highway Vehicle: Vehicle Identification Number
     A VIN was not found, has been removed or is illegible.
    Year: __________ Make: ____________________ Model: ____________________ Date of Inspection: ____________ OHV Type:  Motorcycle  Snowmobile  All Terrain Vehicle  Side by Side  Dune Buggy
     Other (Please Explain) _____________________________
    Remarks _________________________________________________________________________________________________________ _________________________________________________________________________________________________________ _________________________________________________________________________________________________________
    Authorized Inspector – Printed Name ___________________________________________________________________ Dealer or Badge Number
    Authorized Inspector – Signature ______________________________________________________________________
     Enforcement Agency ___________________________________________________________________________ Agency
     Nevada Licensed OHV Dealer ____________________________________________________________________ Dealership Name
    OHV 002 (Revised 05/2017)

15. Nautydog1

Nautydog1 Member

(775) 684-4381
    www.ohv.nv.gov
    APPLICATION FOR OFF-HIGHWAY VEHICLE REGISTRATION DECAL FOR AN OHV PURCHASED FROM A PRIVATE PARTY AFTER 7/1/2012
    NRS 490.082 and 490.105
    General Information
    • To receive a registration decal for an off-highway vehicle (OHV) that you purchased from a Private Party after
    July 1, 2012, complete all sections of this form and mail the form and fees to the Department of Motor Vehicles
    (DMV) at the address above or bring the forms and fees to a Nevada OHV dealer.
    • This transaction may be completed by mail or through a Nevada OHV dealer. OHV transactions cannot be
    completed at DMV offices.
    • Complete one application per off-highway vehicle.
    • The cost of a registration decal is $20 and is valid for one year from the date of issuance.
    • Make check or money order payable to the Department of Motor Vehicles. Do not send cash.
    • If paying by credit or debit card, please use form OHV-013, Payment Authorization.
    • OHV fees are not transferable or refundable.
    • Nevada law requires the owner of an OHV to apply for a registration decal within 30 days of acquiring ownership.
    • Your registration decal will be mailed to you.
    • The OHV registration decal allows operation of the OHV off-road only.
    • A Large All-Terrain Vehicle registration decal allows operation on a general or minor county road as defined in
    NRS 403.170 if the requirements of NRS 490 are met. Large ATV defined “Large all-terrain vehicle” means any all-terrain vehicle that includes seating capacity for at least two people abreast and: 1. Total seating capacity for at least four people; or 2. A truck bed.
    • If your vehicle is currently registered for on road use, you must surrender your license plates before you can register the vehicle as an OHV.
    • Please visit the OHV Commission website at www.ohv.nv.gov for additional information.
    Instructions
    Part I
    • Select the type of registration being requested – OHV Registration or Large All-Terrain Vehicle Registration (Form
    number OHV-031 needs to be completed and submitted with this application. Large OHV Registration requires
    insurance that meets requirements of NRS 485.185).
    • Enter the vehicle identification number (VIN) of the OHV.
    • If the OHV does not have a VIN, it must be taken to a Nevada DMV inspection station. Please visit the OHV Commission website at www.ohv.nv.gov for additional information.
    • If the OHV has never been registered or titled in Nevada, a VIN inspection by a Nevada licensed off-highway vehicle dealer or member of law enforcement is required. Please see form OHV-002, Off-Highway Vehicle Inspection Certificate. The DMV does not perform Off-Highway Vehicle VIN inspections.
    • Enter the model year, OHV make (such as Polaris, Yamaha, Ski-Doo, etc.), OHV model (such as Ranger, YZ 250, Summit, etc.), and date of purchase.
    • Choose a vehicle type from the supplied check boxes. If Other is chosen, please provide a brief explanation of the OHV type.
    • Enter the Nevada County the OHV will be based in.
    • If a VIN was assigned, an additional $2 fee for a total of $22 is due along with a completed Form OHV-005, Off-
    Highway Vehicle Identification Number Assignment, completed by a DMV inspector.
    Part II
     Enter the full legal name of the applicant as it appears on the Nevada Driver’s License or Identification Card, or
    the name of the business if the OHV will be registered to a business.
     Enter the number on the applicant’s Nevada Driver’s license or ID card, or the FEIN if the OHV is to be registered
    to a business. If the owner does not have a Nevada Driver’s license, ID card or FEIN for a business, write
    “NONE.”
     Enter the applicant’s date of birth; leave Date of Birth blank when the owner is a business or trust.
     Enter the applicant’s phone number and email address.
     Enter the complete physical and mailing address of the applicant.
    Part III
     Sign Part III of the form; this is your declaration, under penalty of perjury, that you purchased the OHV from a
    private party and no sales tax is due. OHV 001C (Revised 06/2021)

(775) 684-4381
    www.ohv.nv.gov
    APPLICATION FOR OFF-HIGHWAY VEHICLE REGISTRATION DECAL FOR AN OHV PURCHASED FROM A PRIVATE PARTY AFTER 7/1/2012
    Please Type or Print Using Blue or Black Ink
    Part I
    OHV Registration
    Large All-Terrain Vehicle Registration (Form OHV-031, Large ATV Insurance Declaration must also be completed
    and submitted) “Large all-terrain vehicle” means any all-terrain vehicle that includes seating capacity for at least two people abreast and: 1. Total seating capacity for at least four people; or 2. A truck bed. Large OHV Registration requires insurance that meets requirements of NRS 485.185.
    Vehicle Identification Number:
    Year: _____________ Make: ___________________ Model: _____________________ Date Purchased: ____________
    OHV Type:  Motorcycle  Snowmobile  All Terrain Vehicle Other (Please Explain) _______________________
    County Based In: _____________________________________
    Fees due: Registration
    VIN Assignment (If Applicable)
    Part II
    Off-Highway Vehicle Owner Information
     Side-by-Side
    $20
    $ 2
    Total Fees Due
     Dune Buggy
    $ 20 $________ $________
    Full Legal Name: _______________________________________________________________________________________________________ As it appears on the Nevada Driver’s License or Identification Card, or Business Name
    Nevada Driver’s License Number or Identification Card Number or FEIN for a Business: _________________________________ Date of Birth: _______________ Phone Number: _________________ E-Mail (Optional): _________________________
    Physical Address: ______________________________________________________________________________________________________ Address City State Zip Code
    Mailing Address: ________________________________________________________________________________________________________ Address City State Zip Code
    Part III
    I hereby certify, under penalty of perjury, under the laws of the State of Nevada that all statements in this application and any accompanying documents are true and correct. I further understand that any misstatement of facts may be a misdemeanor or felony and may be punishable pursuant to NRS 193.130.
    Applicant Signature: Date: Company name if OHV is registered to a company:
    OHV 001C (Revised 06/2021)