1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Diff locker? or 4wd actuator? (pics)

Discussion in 'Daihatsu Hi jet' started by cottonfarmer, Apr 14, 2008.

1. ttc

ttc Active Member

Ya I would imagine it would be hard on the diff. The diff locks I have worked on have been mainly ment to help get you unstuck or not stuck when going slow through bad terrain.

2. Buddynut

Buddynut New Member

Thanks for the input guys!!

3. Buddynut

Buddynut New Member

Obvious answer but will have better tires (mud tires) help with traction in slick situations? I have stock tires now just haven't had the funds to buy tires for it yet just trying to weight me options.

4. Mr. Wilson

Mr. Wilson New Member

I have a 2001 Hijet, and my 4wd is not engaging. Does anyone know if there is way to do it manually? FYI, it's something in the front diff. When I turn the switch on, the light on the dash turns on, the front drive shaft will then start spinning (when in drive) and I have plenty of suction on the vacuum lines. Thanks

5. ttc

ttc Active Member

Yes there is a vacuum pot on the front diff also

6. John M

John M New Member

Help!
    The 4wd on my S81P Hi Jet just stopped working when I press the button. The 4x4 light won't come on either. What should my 1st step be?
    I just dumped $1k for an auto repair shop to place new springs, alternator, cooling hoses... I need to make this a DIY project but am no mechanic...

7. ttc

ttc Active Member

Check the vsv

8. ttc

ttc Active Member

They should click like a relay

9. John M

John M New Member

Thanks ttc!
    Where is it located?

10. dale hynes

dale hynes New Member

Get rid of the vacuum operated axle system and install a cable to actuate it. No guessing if it’s locked, it is or it’s not. One can do the same for the rear locker. Make sure you have a light for each axle that shines when you lock them up.

John M likes this.
  11. John M

John M New Member

FYI, while I couldn't get the 4WD to engage in high gear it does work automatically when I shift to low gear, and the 4WD dash indicator does come on.
    Apparently I don't have a problem with any vacuum hoses or actuators. I'm guessing the switch on my 4WD button is dead.