1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Diesel?

Discussion in 'Microvans' started by Unclewolverine, May 22, 2023.

1. Unclewolverine

Unclewolverine New Member

I looked around, but typing diesel into the search yields results about people talking about other kinds of diesels. Did kei vans or other kei vehicles come in diesel? A cursory search did not show me they did. Just curious.

2. gary-3

gary-3 New Member

Diesel versions do not exist for Japanese-produced kei-cars, kei-truck and kei-van.
    But, there are diesel versions of vehicles produced under license from overseas.
    For example, the Piaggio porter is a diesel version exists.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Piaggio_Porter

Jigs-n-fixtures likes this.
  3. Unclewolverine

Super interesting read, thank you! It makes sense too, japanese doesn't really seem to have the zest for diesels that Europe does.

4. gary-3

gary-3 New Member

The Japanese kei-car standard has been revised from 360cc or less power source, to 550cc or less in 1976, to 660cc or less in 1990, and so on. The main advantage of kei-car standard is its compact size, but it is also important that it is inexpensive. The use of diesel engines, which are simply more expensive, is still avoided.
    Also, small-displacement diesel engines are at a disadvantage in that even if they can produce plenty of torque, it is difficult to gain horsepower, and the engine itself is heavier than a petrol engine.
    Outside of Japan, where engine displacement regulations and very strict cost controls are not required, the advantages of diesel engines are sometimes advantageous.

It is also true that diesel vehicles in Japan are not very popular for general regular use only. This is because they emit black smoke, smell bad, make a lot of noise, and have higher taxes than petrol engines because of their larger displacement. Many people still have negative impressions of the old diesels of the past, especially the black smoke and loud noise.
    In Japan, diesel fuel unit price is available about 8-10% cheaper than 91Gas (AKI87), but still the old negative impression remains strong and the ratio is not as high as in Europe.
    However, the adoption rate of diesel engines is high for certain SUVs and work vehicles that require a lot of power.
    The lack of a culture of continuous driving at a constant speed over a straight distance is also a point that has prevented the spread of diesel engines.

5. Unclewolverine

Very cool info. I love diesels, one day hope to fit a small diesel on a motorcycle, just for fun, seeing how there is really only one mass produced diesel bike, and it's supposed to be fairly terrible. The limited run of diesel klrs aren't supposed to be bad, but are horribly expensive. Still, can you imagine the fuel mileage of one of those Piaggio's? Got to be fantastic.

gary-3 likes this.
  6. gary-3

gary-3 New Member

I love diesel too;)
    I like Robot Cantina on youtube channel and am excited about the potential of their small displacement 3 cylinder diesel engine.
    How happy I would be if I could put this Kubota diesel engine in my kei-car...

7. Unclewolverine

Although it would never happen, it would be super cool if someone built a modern, small displacement 2 stroke diesel like a detroit.