1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Daihatsu Hijet S80 Help needed

Discussion in 'Daihatsu Hi jet' started by olddodgetrucks, Jun 22, 2020.

1. olddodgetrucks

olddodgetrucks New Member

Hello,

I picked up a hijet S80LP-TRK JDA000S8000305774 not running and need some help/resources to get it back to life.

Questions:
    -What engine do i have or how do i tell? (i assume its the 550cc)
    -Where can i find a timing belt diagram to make sure my timing is 100% correct?
    -Where can i find a vacuum diagram?
    -Is the firing order 1-2-3 or 1-3-2? Want to make sure as it only runs at 1-2-3

Here is what i know/have done so far:
    -Seat belt is a 1987 so i assume my machine is a 1988 or so
    -Pulled all plugs, compression is good in all 3 holes (175-200 psi)
    -I have spark
    -Previous owner bought a brand new carb (Manual Choke) and installed it, i am unsure if it was hooked up correctly. I have the old carb, should i rebuild this? Is it a better carb?
    -I drained all the fuel and added fresh, confirmed fuel pump is pumping to the carb.
    -I pulled the timing cover and i think the timing is right but do not have a diagram to confirm. With the timing mark in the flywheel inspection window at 0 degrees the hole in the cam lines up with the notch in the timing case and the rotor points at #1 (roughly 3 oclock)

How it runs...
    -I can get it to start with some combination of choking and throttle fiddling but have to keep the choke mostly on and rev it up quite a bit, lots of popping back through the carburetor. Only like to start and run with the distributor fully clockwise (Full advance?).

Any help is appreciated, i need to rule out timing issues before i dig into the carburetor/vacuum too much.

2. Limestone

Limestone Well-Known Member

Welcome Old,
    Well, let's see where we can start; Your unit is a 7 th. gen., 3 cyl. called the 550cc like you stated, (actually 547cc), no biggie! It is the E series, labeled EB engine. There's a large embosed EB on the top off the head, between the distributor, and timing cover, on mine, I assume yours is the same! I'm pretty sure your unit, the s80lp, was produced from 1986-1989. Mine is an early s81lp mfg. in 1989! My seat belts were labelled 1988, these are good ballpark dates, but nothing beats the metal tag under the seat! You are correct with a 123 firing order. That's why it's running better in that order! Compression looks real good, as you know. A lot of mechanic's will tell you that your compression ratio shouldn't vary more than 15 between cylinders. It's a good rule of thumb. Sounds like your right there, or at least pretty close. The timing has been an issue with mine from the beginning. In saying that, it seems that I can't really get it where I'm comfortable, knowing it's right. I first found it at -7 degrees, tdc. I played with it at several intervals, 9 btdc., 10-11 btdc. At the moment, I'm advanced @ 13 degrees! Crazy, that I'm all over the page, as mine is still a work in progress! Your right with trying to establish the timing first, but, between the, vac. lines, and the carb. mark my words you'll be making more adjustments! These aren't like the Mopar's that you might be a custom to, in reference of your intro name! I'm pretty sure your original carb. is like mine with 2 solenoids on it, a 1 wire and a 2 wire! I couldn't find them any where!!! Did the rebuild on the carb. only to have the solenoid go bad afterwards! I wound up with an aftermarket carb. also, with a manual choke! There's times when it runs pretty good and times when, I have to play with the choke a little like your doing, to get her with the program, and then she'll smooth out! I'm not done tweaking and improving it, and I'll get it' I just can't tell you when! Too many projects in the works! Part of the problem is, the vac. system, and the cooling system as these things operate, a lot off of temperature, thus the reason for having to keep tweaking the manual choke, as the vehicle warms, and or is cool! I'm hoping more guys will chime in as I'm expecting! There's a lot of help full people aboard, and very knowledgeable! I wish mine was finished, and, or I had more time to delve into mine, because I'm anxious to conquer this thing! There is a lot of really good info on the forum, old and new on these issues that I'm sure will help! I'll try to post some VAC. pics that will, or might help! Good Luck, and be sure to keep us posted!
    Limestone

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 23, 2020
  3. Jigs-n-fixtures

Jigs-n-fixtures Well-Known Member

the timing cover covers the timing belt to the head. On my EF engine it doesn’t really correspond to TDC. You just line up the index mark on the crank and cam to set the cam timing.

Then move to the little window to set the ignition timing. If the cam timing isn’t right, it will do all the nasty things you have described.

The compression readings your getting would indicate a 12 to 13:1 compression ratio. Which will necessitate running high octane fuel.

Your S80LP is the left hand drive, two wheel drive version imported as landscape, and maintenance trucks. Limestone’s S81LP is the 4wd version.

If you look on eBay, the full factory maintenance and parts books written in English, show up from time to time. They tend to be a bit spendy. But, having clearly written instructions on how to work on and adjust things would be a big help.

I have a Japanese to English translation for my S110P, and it is almost worthless. It does have the ignition timing, and a few settings, but it seems to lack at least as much as it contains.

Limestone likes this.
  4. olddodgetrucks

olddodgetrucks New Member

Thank you for the information.

Which timing marks line up where on the crank/cam? I can tell someone has attempted timing this belt before as there is paint pen markings covering timing marks.

I feel like i am a tooth off on the timing belt as i cannot get a timing reading (with a gun) through the little window when the machine is running.

5. JMM

JMM Member

Limestone likes this.
  6. Limestone

Limestone Well-Known Member

Old,
    I was curious to see what you've accomplished. I've been thinking, about what you said, and the in reference to what Jigs said. You thought that maybe the belt was a tooth off! If that's the case, your timing marks on the crank and cam won't line up! Did you find the indented grooves(timing marks) on the face of the camshaft pulley, and the end of the crank, mate mark, that would indicate where your timing needs to be? Many times if a person is having a hard time seeing or reading the timing marks, they'll use a paint stick of various colors or a sharpie to highlight the marks, as you indicated earlier, and yes that would indicate someone was in there, setting the timing at an earlier date! Was just wondering what you found! Good Luck!
    Limestone

Last edited: Jul 26, 2020