1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

cushman white truck

Discussion in 'Tips and Tricks' started by kev8969, Aug 26, 2009.

1. rbwbigcountry

rbwbigcountry New Member

Great info

I'm glad to have found this forum and the great information that is posted on it. Has anybody been able to figure out the 4th and 5th gear unlock. I have the cushman 4g82, 1065cc. Also is there any place that makes a aluminum bed for these trucks?

2. rbwbigcountry

rbwbigcountry New Member

Governer no more

Got my new ignitor and coil in from ebay, $70.00 brand new for both. Pulled governer per jethro99 instructions and it runs like a champ. Now I need to get 4th and 5th gears unlocked. Only problem I have is if you turn the key all the way back to the acc. spot the truck will keep running, no big issue just have to stop in the off position. Thanks for who ever figured out the 84 toyota firing system and jethro99 for posting instructions of how to wire it up.

3. Rwf642

Rwf642 New Member

I know this is an older post and I have seen lots of info on this subject but i'd like to verify what model I have and whats the fix for the trans 4th and 5th liberation. I have a 98 Cushman white truck. I have 2 of them, 1 p/u and 1 van. The governor problem is resolved now its unlocking 4th and 5th gear that I face. If the fix is shortening the shafts, How are they accessed? Does the tranny have to come out of the truck? Do you removed the shift linkage and cover? Pictures of what needs to be done would be great. I saw the post on looking at Dan's pictures but who is Dan and how do I find his pictures. Any help would be appreciated. I'm don't know who built this truck (Mits or Daihatsu or Sub) How do I tell? They all look alike to me. I've looked for some evidence on parts but have found nothing to indicate. Detail on the procedures would be great.

4. Prayersfarm

Prayersfarm New Member

I looked at the igniter for an 84 Toy SR5 on ebay and it looks different than the one I took out of my white truck. Does it still bolt up? The one on Rockauto.com looks different too. Did you have this difference? Went to Napa, nothing in there book looks the same. An 84 Toy is very different. Does is somehow still bolt up?

Last edited: Feb 18, 2012
  5. jethro99

jethro99 New Member

You will have to wire it in, there is no plug and play to it. Click on my user name and you will see all the treads I have posted, in them is the info on how to wire it in. Good luck.

6. Prayersfarm

Prayersfarm New Member

It isn't about plug and play wiring, the part is configured differently. The bolt pattern is different too. I must be missing something, what is it?
    Thanks

7. Rwf642

Rwf642 New Member

What he means by plug and play is that the part that your putting in your truck does not plug into the existing wiring plugs, nor will it screw to the existing screw holes. It is made for a different application but it will make your truck run without a governor. If you don't have a mechanical inclination then this could be frustrating.

8. jethro99

jethro99 New Member

All of the instructions are in "The final governor tread" listed in the sub-forums under References. It's all there, it's not all that hard to wire it in. I tossed the old ign module and coil and mounted the new one in it's place. You will have to drill some holes and cut some wires but it's not that hard of a fix.

9. Prayersfarm

Prayersfarm New Member

Thanks. I thought I've read every thread about this and it now helps to hear the part about tapping new mounting screws holes. Thought I was looking at the wrong Toyota part. Perhaps a van is different, my truck access is so poor that it seems ya have to pull the distributor out (after setting to no. 1 firing position) to accurately position the new magnetic pickup for bolt-up.

10. Prayersfarm

Prayersfarm New Member

RockAuto doesn't list a 7067 part and the CarQuest number doesn't work either. Perhaps they did last year, but I've looked and looked and get nothing. RockAuto DOES show a Part # LX759 that seems to be for the right Toy 85 sr5 mfi, but it only has 2 wires and sounds nothing like what you have described to bigtoejones with 2 green connectors etc. Maybe this has much to do with the misunderstanding of how it bolts up; or I just have poor mechanical inclination and it's frustrating me (thanks Rwf642[by the way, nice transmission question]).

11. DUMPDEUCE

DUMPDEUCE New Member

i used an ignition module for a 78 ford pinto, coil and coil clip. $50 and 1/2 hour install, and she ran like a banshee! the old module stayed in place.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2013
  12. jwesley74

jwesley74 New Member

What was the wiring sequence for the pinto module/coil?

13. jwesley74

jwesley74 New Member

How do I find out what year my Cushman is?

14. JamesBreland

JamesBreland New Member

78 Pinto

Has anyone tryed the 78 Pinto ignition module
    :confused:

15. Repo Dan

Repo Dan New Member

Can anyone tell me how to delete the governor and what parts to buy ??? Just bought my first White Truck and want it to run faster than 22mph. Would also like to unlock 4th and 5th gear. CAN ANYONE HELP. Dan..

16. grimmson

grimmson New Member

I’ve been doing the 4th and 5 Th for some people. Very easy to get done

17. grimmson

grimmson New Member

If anyone needs their trans mod done I do it for 400 . Call me 4792367405.. I can do it in one day