1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

cooling fan??

Discussion in 'Honda Acty' started by Jakester, Apr 20, 2011.

1. Jakester

Jakester Member

Whats the little fan for on the chasis of my '95 ACTY HA4? Its on the frame back by the battery area and I've had it come on when I boost the bat sometimes and also when I short out the posts (by accident). Something runs under the dash also when that happens. I've had the coolant fan come on when running slow and not getting much air movement through the rad. This fan is separate.

2. OldMachinist

OldMachinist Moderator Staff Member

It's called the sub-cooling fan and it helps cool the engine. The relay and control box are up front and the sensor is back by the engine. The sensor turns on the fan when it gets above 140F near the engine and turns off at 125F.
    The radiator cooling fan kicks on when the coolant is at 200F and off at 185F.

3. mrflmeg

mrflmeg New Member

wher can i find a wiring digram for a honda acty 1993 my radiotior cooling fan will not come on which is causing my truck to over heat and im not sure what is wrong dose anybody have any ideas

4. OldMachinist

The radiator cooling fan is controlled by the thermo switch screwed into the bottom of the radiator. You can jumper the connector to verify that the problem is the switch not the fan motor. The switch turns the fan on at 199F and off at 185F. If the switch is the problem you should be able to match one up at a good auto parts store. Seems like I matched one up at Napa and the part number was TS5548 but I can't be for sure if that was for my ACTY or another Honda car I worked on.

5. mrflmeg

mrflmeg New Member

We bypassed the sensor but the fan didnt turn on but we put direct power to it and it turned on

6. OldMachinist

Is a fuse blown?

7. mrflmeg

mrflmeg New Member

I checked them and none were bad

8. OldMachinist

There's a relay for the fan. I've never had to locate it but I think it's under the dash behind the glove box.

9. OldMachinist

Sorry just went and looked and that's the wiper and turn signal relays. I'll look some more and see what i find.

10. OldMachinist

I crawled all around under the truck and looked behind the dash as much as I could without pulling it out again and can't see it. I know there is one because the service manual says so but doesn't show or say where it is.

11. Did you ever find this relay?

12. OldMachinist

No, I haven't looked for it again.

13. What if I run a new wire directly from the battery to the thermo switch at the bottom of the radiator?

14. OldMachinist

Sorry I didn't get a chance to look for the relay. The teenage boy let his girlfriend drive his car last week and they rolled it so I'm working on getting another old car running for him.

[​IMG]

In answer to your question you could just wire it that way but if the coolant is hot when you turn it off the fan would continue to run until it cooled down. I would find a switched circuit and run a wire to a new relay in a easy spot to get to. Then run your wire from the battery thru the relay.

15. OldMachinist

As long as you have a good battery it should work. Be aware that if you park it with the sun on the front the fan could cycle on and off on a hot day. The other option is to use a off delay timer relay so that after you shut off the key the fan could run for some amount of set time but not come on again until the key is switched back on.

16. That makes sense. I'll work on it some more and let you know what I come up with. Thanks!

17. Chico

Chico New Member

Gents, I'm not sure if they are identical but I have a 92 Acty and i noticed a couple of relays under the driver seat when i had it off the other day.... Hope it helps!

18. Chico, I didn't see any relays under my driver seat. The only thing I find under there is wires for the windshield washer.

I did however solve my cooling fan issue. It was only a burnt 15 amp fuse. It took me a while to figure that out, but that was it. You can see the fuse in question at the tip of my pliers in this picture.

IMG_0972.JPG

Although I could never get the temp gauge up over halfway, the fan did come on several times. And, it does shut off when I turn the key off.

IMG_0970.JPG

Another interesting thing happened as I was picking up my tools. The engine cooling fan came on. This had never happened before, so I assume the same fuse is for both the radiator fan and the engine fan. It came on with the key in the OFF position. And, it stayed on for about 10 minutes. The engine cooling fan is located forward of the engine and slightly on the driver's side. It's a little difficult to tell where, but this is a picture of it.

IMG_0973.JPG

19. OldMachinist

Yes the cooling fan by the engine will run after the key mine has done that also.
    If the brake light is stuck on you need to adjust the switch at the brake pedal.

CompleteLawnCare likes this.
  20. That's what the problem is. There is a small plastic piece that goes in the brake pedal arm to push the brake light switch to turn the lights off. That small piece is missing. My brother-in-law is here now, and he works at the Toyota dealership. He thinks he has the right piece in stock. I'll post pics when I get it fixed.

Thanks again OldMachinist.