1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coolant smell in cab with heat on

Discussion in 'Daihatsu Hi jet' started by MrJPolito, Jan 20, 2022.

1. MrJPolito

MrJPolito Active Member

Whelp, onto the next item in a list of never ending problems.

I showed my S110P truck to a potential buyer and his grandfather and they both said the cab smells like coolant when the heat is running. I never noticed this, and I have no idea where to even look for a leak or where the smell could be coming from.

They both said it might be a leaking heater core and want me to check it out before they would potentially buy the truck. I haven't been able to find sufficient answers in the Japanese manual, so I have a few questions before I go crazy tearing this thing apart:

1. Where is the coolant reservoir and how do I check if the levels are low?

2. Where is the heater core?

3. Would adding radiator stop-leak fluid to the coolant system stop a leak in the heater core, if there is one?

4. Is there anything I'm overlooking entirely?

Bonus photo of entire dashboard removed:

IMG_20220119_232911_033.jpg

2. Jigs-n-fixtures

Jigs-n-fixtures Well-Known Member

The heater core is buried in the dash. You should be able to see the rubber hoses coming up through. Hopefully it is the rubber hoses, and not the core itself. Looking at your picture it is encased between the fan, and the duct switching dampers. In the lunch box shaped plastic thing.

The coolant reservoir is under the passenger seat, married to the wiper fluid in one cast piece of polyethylene..

Stop leak might stop it up temporarily.