1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coolant leak 1991 Hijet

Discussion in 'Daihatsu Hi jet' started by getabitlit, Dec 7, 2009.

1. getabitlit

getabitlit Member

Hi Guys,

Hope you can help me out.

I have a 1991 Hijet.

I changed the coolant the other day to get ready for winter and saw that my overflow tank was almost empty. I filled it appropriately while doing the coolant change. Its now almost empty again after a few hours of driving. No overheating and the truck is running well.

I can see a bit of coolant dripping out of the lowest point of the cover behind the pulleys/belt.

Where is the water pump in theses trucks? Could it be just a gasket?

Thanks again,

Josh

2. fupabox

fupabox Well-Known Member

water pump is right in where your leak is(behind the timing belt cover)..could be the gasket but water pumps usually start to weep as the bearings go bad....best to replace the whole works pump/belt/tensioner at the same time if the pump is toast....1 of the sponsors here was selling the complete kit if I remember correctly

Last edited: Dec 7, 2009
  3. If you have not done the timing belt and you feel comfortable doing it now is the time.

The timing belt is all by itself with a idler.

You will have to take off the timing belt to replace the water pump.

The Water pump runs on the same belt as the alternator.

Likely the water pump weep hole.

4. fupabox

fupabox Well-Known Member

wow brain fart my appologies:eek::eek: I replaced the timing belt/water pump in my Volvo last week and was thinking of that lol...most of what I said applies still.................brain......:frustration:..hurts

5. starpuss

starpuss Member

DO what i do lol. take a out the tig and weld in the weep hole lol...

jk.. not a good idea you will start to leep out of the end of the shaft if you try this. trust me i know!

6. No worries, I had mine apart several times I can get the belt off in about 2.5-3 hours.

7. getabitlit

getabitlit Member

Wow I love this forum!

Thanks for all the input guys. I'll be doing both the timing belt and pump at the same time. The trucks at 85 000 km so its almost time for a new belt.

Its been a daily driver for one year to the day. I've put 15 000 kms on it, so far I've only had to replace one rear brake cylinder and now the water pump. Not bad for a 18 year old truck eh. The gas savings alone, compared to driving my 07 Tundra has paid for the complete mini truck so far.

Thanks again for the info.

Josh