1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coolant dripping by oil filter

Discussion in 'Subaru Sambar' started by H.W., Jun 27, 2019.

1. H.W.

H.W. New Member

Hi all,

I have a 93 VW SC Sambar and a few weeks ago it started overheating while driving home (city driving). It would heat up when accelerating but drop back down at idle. The coolant was low when I got home and checked but I hadn't noticed any leaks at all before this problem. I topped up the coolant but now notice a slow coolant drip by the the oil filter when I let the engine heat up a bit. By the time you see the drip it has rolled around the base of the oil filter and dripped off the bottom where it connects to the block. Anyone else had this problem?

Thanks in advance for any help :)

2. rkrenicki

rkrenicki Active Member

The water pump is there, it likely needs replacement.

3. Maximal

Maximal Active Member

yep water pump is timing belt driven, theyre about $100-$150 to order and you should do the timing belt same time

last time i did one was a couple years back, but some repair books incorrectly say the engine has to be removed to replace the timing belt/waterpump. just remove the right rear wheel, unbolt the right rear shock and swing it out of the way, unbolt the AC compressor and move it out of the way if its an AC model, then remove the splash shield and timing cover. 2 hour job

rkrenicki likes this.
  4. rkrenicki

rkrenicki Active Member

Exactly, Timing belt and water pump is a quick and easy job. There is quite a bit of access, and I would probably replace the crank and cam oil seals while you are in there.