1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cold climates

Discussion in 'General Truck Info' started by okeitrucker, Aug 28, 2007.

1. okeitrucker

okeitrucker Member

Has anyone living in cold climates installed block heaters or oil pan heaters on their trucks? If so, was it a pretty straight forward installation? Thanks.

2. d rock

d rock Member

haven't done it on my Acty yet, but i have put the 'stick on' oil pan heaters on other vehicles with great success. i'm in Canada and have used the Polar Pad brand heaters from Canadian tire. not sure what you have available locally but they are super easy to install and have worked great.

3. unclejemima

unclejemima Member

0w30 synthetic worked great in my 87 prelude and civic. They never had block heaters, and it gets to -40c here (northern alberta). Started no problemo!
    -mark

4. okeitrucker

okeitrucker Member

Thanks for the input. I found a few different kinds at the local parts stores, all of which look like they would do the job. Thanks for the tip about 0w30synthetic oil. I'll give that a try.

5. d rock

d rock Member

its always nice for the vehicle if that oil is nice and warm too prior to start up :). i notice on my diesels that they didn't miss and sputter at all during cold (-20 and below) starts if the pan heaters had been on for an hour or two prior to starting. half an hour would be plenty on a block as small as the kei trucks have.

6. unclejemima

unclejemima Member

I actually might try those, they sound like they would work great.
    Have you ever had the pad come off the pan because it did not stick well enough?
    Thanks!
    -mark

7. d rock

d rock Member

put them on two vehicles and zero issues. they have an adhesive on the back as well as a gasket material you goop around the edges to keep moisture and dirt out. as long as your pan is clean when you put them on there should be no problems. when i bought my first one i plugged it in while holding the pad, about 5 seconds later i didn't want to be holding it any more! for the kei trucks you could buy the small size. i use a timer on my cord in the winter and i bet an hour or two would be the most you'd need.

8. TetsuKuma

TetsuKuma Member

Another trick that works is to use a heat lamp enclosed in a metal box (no paint) and slip it under the oil pan in the late evening. Pull it out just before you start up. This works best in a closed space although I have used it in the out of doors using a box with very high sides which protects the lamp from wind and snow. You can also connect em to a timer.

9. d rock

d rock Member

i'll stick to the one time 5 minute job of applying the pad heater! :)

10. unclejemima

unclejemima Member

Thanks d rock, i will go check them out today!
    -mark

11. d rock

d rock Member

you'll have to go to the Parts Desk and ask for them as they are not out on the shelf. its funny, the first time i went to inquire about them the guy at the desk didn't have a clue. i called the Polar Pad rep who assured me that Canadian Tire did indeed have them so i went back and pushed the issue a bit and sure enough the "counter boy" found them on his computer which meant they stock them. wow, a lot of work for a simple part :)

12. unclejemima

unclejemima Member

good ol' crappytire:D
    -mark

13. TetsuKuma

TetsuKuma Member

I assume these have an internal thermostat that keeps the oil from "boiling". Does anyone use the old "heated" oil sticks still?

14. d rock

d rock Member

while those pads will keep the oil warm, they certainly won't heat the oil up anywhere close to what it will be once it's been in an operating engine for a few miles!

15. Colin

Colin Member

No doubt.

I think I'm going to use some 5W30 or 0W30 oil and install a cheapo remote start setup, so I can let the thing run for a few minutes before departure. It's never a good idea to hit the road with a stone-cold engine, and that's especially true when you're turning HIGH RPMs to keep up with traffic. :)

Colin

16. unclejemima

unclejemima Member

True enough!
    -mark

17. captain_dc

captain_dc New Member

I'm just about to set up my Subaru for some cold winter ops. Have you had any luck setting up a comand start? Do you guys think a block heater AND an oil pan heater would be nesasary in -35C? What about the "sticking lines" I've been reading about, anybody not have this problem or have a fix for it?

DC

18. Colin

Colin Member

My Sambar fired right up in temperatures close to -35°C last winter, and I had no auxiliary engine heater. Just make sure you let it warm up for several minutes before you get underway.

As for the sticking cables... I've never experienced it, but apparently water gets into the cable sheaths on some trucks when they pressure wash them on departure from Japan. Let the truck sit in a warm building to thaw the ice, then squirt some Kable-Ease or water dispersant (WD-40) type product down the sheaths and you should be fine.

Colin

19. oldsnowman

oldsnowman Member

i see some of you are thinking about going to 5w30 & 0w30 oil for winter...what weight of oil are you using in the summer?

20. andy_george

andy_george Member

I use Mobil 1 5w-30 all year, but the winters here aren't nearly as cold as northern Canada....

-Andy

21. oldsnowman

oldsnowman Member

i am using 5w30 now (its first oil change) castrol full synthic and works great but i had the oil tested after 1500km's and the guy asked me what rpm does the engine run at, so i told him 6500 at 100k's...i think he didn't believed me, he just said change it every 2000k's. i wonder if a 5w40 would be better for the high rpm.

22. Subaru

Subaru Member

I am a firm believer in using good oil and changing it often.When using longer life oils,you avoid the general looky over you do every oil change.I try to prevent problems,instead of fixing broken crap due to not doing regular inspections.my 2c worth:p

23. teeshka

teeshka Member

On the Sambars, I go to AutoPartsPlus and get a lower rad hose in-line heater, 1" dia. There is a short hose just under the carb and I install it there, it is 375 watts, circulates the coolant to keep the engine toasty warm, with the added benefit that the residual heat rising from the heater keeps the carb nice and warm. It is a very tight fit and you have to move the bracket that holds the thermostat housing.

24. captain_dc

captain_dc New Member

Teeshka,

Do you have a model and or brand of in-line heater you use?

I'm winterizing a Sambar right now.

I also need to decide on a pan heater to buy, any specific recomendations?

Thanks

25. teeshka

teeshka Member

in-line heater

Are you in Canada? AutoPartsPlus sells Temro heater, model #320-0001. Make sure you run the truck after installing and top off the antifreeze or you could burn out the heater as there could still be some air in there after initial installation.

26. Timetripper

Timetripper Moderator

If your engine is in overall good shape I think sticking with xxW30 is best.
    Sometimes heavy is not always better.
    The stock recommended oil is 10W30 in Japan and I can see going down to a 5W30 for our colder climates
    but if the bearing clearances were not designed for the 40 weight then it's kind of like stuffing
    your size 11 foot in a size 8 shoe - not to comfortable.

The guys who are building street strip cars [V8's] take this into consideration
    when building up the block and I can see it on a high milage clunker that burns oil and has lots of bearing wear.

27. captain_dc

captain_dc New Member

I'm driving a subaru sambar stadard aspiration.

I've been running for a while now with a pad heater and found that it is functioning adequitly, still planing to put in an inline rad hose heater but I'm getting the run around from the local parts store.

Up until recently I was thinking I would have no problem operating all winter, but once the temperature droped below -20C for a few days I started having problems. The biggest problem I have is a signifigant loss of power when driving the highway when the temperature is around -20C. With my 13" rims, winter tires and 4wd, I usualy get around 90K in cruise, when this power loss occurs I'm lucky to get 60k and after I find the truck won't idle right and stalls without attention. I'll pop it into the hangar at work pull it out and the problem will be solved...until the next time it gets cold soaked and I try and run down the highway again.

I have it in the hanger today. I'm waffling on wich way to go for corective action. I'll definetaly throw some methal hydrate into the tank and cover up the rad today. I'm not sure what else I can do.

I have considered a carb heat isue. Not sure what to do about it.

Any sugestions would be realy apreciated.

DC

28. Timetripper

Timetripper Moderator

Take the lid off the engine and look at the muffler along the left hand side, there should be two corragated hoses
    running to the muffler from the air box. One supply and one return that heats the air going to the engine
    make sure that there is no rips or tears in them or that someone has removed before you purchased your truck.

29. captain_dc

captain_dc New Member

Tripper

I inspected the the hoses you spoke of, everything seems to be in order. The butterfly swings and the air filter is clean. Not sure how to check if that butterfly is truly working.

Tripper, do you think there is a huge loss of heat by the radline hose traveling up to the front? I've considerd that I'm not heating the engine up enouph to heat up the air being inducted....maybe covering the rad will help.

Still open to other sugestions.

DC

30. Timetripper

Timetripper Moderator

Another thought - Is the thermostat ok?
    If you run it in the hanger does the temp gauge get to half way?
    That's where mine end's up when fully warmed up.