1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Clutch Problem: Not engaging

Discussion in 'Subaru Sambar' started by DuncVan, Jun 6, 2016.

1. DuncVan

DuncVan Member

My van's clutch is acting up. I can change gears fine, but it never fully engages anymore. The van will move but it rev's really high until it sort of catches up with itself. I didn't do this much because I figured it cant be good for the clutch.
    After inspection I discovered that there is now play in the clutch wire when the pedal is released. I can see the 'extra' wire at the pedal and it is loose at the release lever.
    When I disconnect the wire from both the pedal and the release lever I can move the wire fairly easily.
    To me this points at something wrong with the pressure plate. Have I missed something?
    My plan is to replace clutch cable and a bunch of its fixtures. I'll need to be able to adjust the cable should I do a clutch job and the current one has a lot of rust in the adjustable places. There is also that 0.01% chance that that fixes my problem.
    Again, have I missed something?

2. fmartin_gila

fmartin_gila Well-Known Member

You should have 1/2 to 3/4 inch of freetravel at the clutch pedal before it starts to press the release bearing. If you did not have freeplay there before, you probably glazed the clutch friction surfaces and that is why it is slipping or as you say high revving. You may have to do a clutch job and either deglaze the disc or replace it, depending on how bad it is burnt/glazed.

Fred