1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

choke not working

Discussion in 'Daihatsu Hi jet' started by chaseoe, Apr 2, 2012.

1. chaseoe

chaseoe Member

i have a daihatsu jumbo cab and you have to put your hand over the carb to start it because the choke doesnt work what do i have to do to fix it?

2. fupabox

fupabox Well-Known Member

the 2 most likely issues are the coolant heated element is blocked (two coolant lines in the base of the carb..unhook both and blow compressed air in to blast them clean) or the choke is rusted/gummed up on the back side of the carb...look for the toothed gear wheel and lube that area up and check all the linkages for free movement

3. chaseoe

chaseoe Member

how do i know what year it is?

4. fupabox

yokohamamotors.com has a chart you can reference

5. chaseoe

chaseoe Member

well i blew air through the carb where them lines hook up and oiled the choke stuff and it still doesnt work.

6. chaseoe

chaseoe Member

I got it working.thanks

7. chaseoe

chaseoe Member

well it works once or twice when i wd-40 the linkage and stuff then it quits working i wd-40 it it works then quits working.

8. fupabox

wd-40 is good for initially loosening stuff..not a great lubricant for the long run...try a few drops of motor oil...I use slick 50 lubricant oil (comes in a pump can) crap inside an engine but great for lubricating cables and hinges and carb mechanisms