1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

changing from 4wd to 2 wd woth honda acty

Discussion in 'Honda Acty' started by broshawn777, Jul 12, 2007.

1. williemakeit

williemakeit New Member

would anyone be interested in a cable disengagement kit for the Honda ACTY HA4 for switching from 4x2 to 4x4 and back? My father will be driving this truck mostly and he needs a good way to make it streetable in 2x without climbing under the truck. I am a machinist by trade and have access to a plasma table and brake presses with a lot of scrap steel laying around. cables are not the issue with this but making room around the starter may require a new lever with a clocked keyed hole and a detent kit to lock it in. we will be looking at this over this weekend at go from there... What say you??

2. Jester3775

Jester3775 Bronze Supporting Member

Wow Willie, that sounds awesome. Seems very strange to me Honda did not offer this option. Makes me also wonder if there's more to it then meets the eye ?
    I would be very interested, please keep us updated !

Jester

3. williemakeit

williemakeit New Member

Thanks jester, we just traded around for this acty a few weeks ago and just got it running so now I want it to be easy for my father to use and this 4x issue really seems to bug him so I will build a solution for it if possible... I am currently looking at a PTO style cable that has a spring return lock so when pulled it stays but just pushing the lock will allow it to spring back and engage it but what do u all think as far as locking in for 2x or locking in for 4x?? My thought is have the cable pulled to lock in 2x and pushing the release to get 4x ...

I haven't been under the truck much so this weekend will be a chance to see how to make it happen, for anyone who has engaged and disengaged the 4x on there truck will it hold on its own or is there a factory detent? Any input would be great

4. Jester3775

Willie, I personally like the pulled for 2x and pushed in for 4x, like you said. I have never played with mine but I thought I read somewhere on this forum that there was a bolt you took out ? to get into 2x.
    I think there are even pictures about this issue on here somewhere.........

5. Borg

Borg Member

Could just make it a reversible design...

I took a picture for reference.

[​IMG]

6. Jester3775

Further explanation please :pop:
    Not sure what we are looking at and or what bolt is the one we play with ?
    Reversible ?

7. williemakeit

williemakeit New Member

Follow the drive shaft back to the trans axle along the top of the drive line. If u look in the pic above u can see the little lever just behind the drive flange, it has a small bolt out at the end of the lever that needs to be removed for this to work..

We have a flat pattern of what we think will work but in this we found that we may have to make a spacer to give us a little more room to fit a cable in this small space. With a starter and the bed so close to this lever it will be a struggle having a cable stout enough to make this happen. Just don't expect this to happen in a week or two as this is a project truck and there are two other issues in working on at this time and ball joints are first to do and in not paying for stock ones...

Hopefully this will work and we may sell a kit but it will take some time to make this a tested and proven setup. We will post up a few pics of progress.

8. Jester3775

Sorry, still not following you. Maybe I will crawl under mine and see if it makes more sense.

9. YearoftheDragon

YearoftheDragon New Member

On mine it did not have the bolt(s) describe above, so I just removed the driveshaft completely and my ACTY runs amazing now. I did see a dent so that for sure is the culprit. So if your ACTY runs vibrates like crap 30-60mph ... Check the drive shaft!!

10. Borg

Borg Member

Oh wow, never even thought of that.

11. kilgoja

kilgoja New Member

if it works anything like honda cars with the real time 4wd system then it is always in 2wd unless it senses slippage in which case the 4wd kicks in. does it work the same way on the mini trucks?

12. Borg

Borg Member

I don't think so.

Pretty sure it always drives the front diff.

13. OldMachinist

OldMachinist Moderator Staff Member

Went thru the parts diagrams and found that after chassis #2200001 they stopped putting the disconnect on them.