1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cant shift into Low range

Discussion in 'Daihatsu Hi jet' started by Matt123, Nov 24, 2017.

1. Matt123

Matt123 New Member

Its not the cable or shifter. Anyone ever have a similar problem? 1996 S110p. Bought it as a basket case in pieces, shifted into low before I had it running, once i got it running it went into low but would only stay if I held the shifter in place. I only moved maybe 50 feet this way. Today just cant get in low all. Any chance its something simple or will I need to pull the T case?

2. Matt123

Matt123 New Member

Found the problem and fixed it.

On driver side (RHD) of the transfer case there round cover with 2 vacuum lines. This is how the 4wd is actuated. Just pull 4 bolts to remove the cover and you can see the diaphragm / piston that actuates the 4wd system.

Mine was just sticky, I just sprayed some white lithium grease in there and worked it a few times and then after putting it together everything worked fine. When shifting to low it physically forces it to 4x4, because my 4x4 actuator was stuck it wouldn't allow me to go fully into low range. When shifting between 2x4 and 4x4 in high range it uses vacuum to either pull the actuator piston one way or the other.

thought I would share for anyone having trouble down the road.

fmartin_gila likes this.