1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can't remove ignition key

Discussion in 'Mitsubishi Minicab' started by Griz, Oct 16, 2008.

1. Griz

Griz Member

Have a 2002 automatic Mitsubishi minicab and I can't remove the ignition key????
    I have it in park but the key will not turn to the lock position nor can I remove it.
    What am I doing wrong?

2. Mighty Milt

Mighty Milt Active Member

shift it out of park and back in maybe a little more forcefully, it's probably just not hitting the release button?

3. Griz

Griz Member

I have tried that and in neutral pushed on the break at same time also. I think your right that when in park it is not releasing but why? Wish I knew how it worked and what to do to fix it.

4. Timetripper

Timetripper Moderator

Look for any wires that might be disconnected behind the ignition switch.
    Also if you can look around the back of the shifter - not sure if yours is on the dash or floor.
    There might be a loose wire there as well
    There should be a electrical interconnect between them or possibly a small cable?
    Good Luck

5. boosted mitsu

boosted mitsu Member

just wondering if the steering wheel is locked when you put in park.

i had a customer car where the key didnt come out also. we were all sctratching our heads and once i turned the wheel till it locked the key came out.
    not sure why it happened. it was on a older car though.

if everythign is electronic you might want to simply reset the ECU. dont know if that will work either since i'm a noob to the mini trucks.
    just a simple suggestion before you start going on a wild trouble shooting goose chase.

6. Mighty Milt

if you can easily remove the console around the shifter you should see a little button or contact for the shifter to push on to release a solenoid around the ignition. you can always try to by pass that first, then i would move onto removing the shroud around the column and look for a faulty wire there or a way of disabling the solenoid.

7. Timetripper

Timetripper Moderator

Had a thought: Did you check the fuse panel for any burnt fuses?

8. gregw98

gregw98 Member

Might try pushing the key inward while turning, then pulling. Might just drive it to a lockshop. Might be something very simple.

9. Griz

Griz Member

I checked fuses, even found one with a picture of a key, but all checked ok. The ignition switch has 4 positions, LOCK - ACC - ON - START. I can not get the key into the lock position. Tried pushing in while turning the key & pulling out, no go. I tried turning the steering wheel & while pushing & pulling the key nope that darn key will not come out. I am leaving it in the ACC position and turning the radio off but I am fairly sure there is still a battery drain. Because it will not go into the lock position I am thinking it's a switch problem????

10. Mighty Milt

in this case my best suggestion would be to pop the covers on the steering column and look for a manual over ride. it's usually a small pin-hole that you can push in on and it will allow you to return the key back to the "lock" position. or as greg suggested take it to a locksmith.

11. Griz

Griz Member

Removed the column cover found no pin hole. While turning the key from ACC to LOCK (still would not go) I could see a white plastic cover on the bottom of the ignition lock moving as of it was stopping the key & lock from going into the lock position. While trying to remove that cover I un-snapped a end piece with a cable attached. The cable when pulled away from the lock has a pot metal end with a large notch on one side & 3 smaller notches on the other. With the cable removed from the ignition lock assembly the key will lock and remove, all works as it should. What the heck is this cable? It traces down under the floor and nothing I do to the shift lever or steering will make it move. It is like it was there just to keep me from locking & removing my key?????

12. Mighty Milt

does it tie into your transmission under the truck rather than into the shifter IN the truck?

13. Griz

Griz Member

Not sure? I found that if I pulled the pot metal piece I can move the cable about 1/2" out of the cable housing. If then I push the button on the shift lever the pot metal piece retracts, but only if I have my foot on the breaks. I can only reassemble if the key is not in the lock position. After reassembly it will not go into the lock position nor can I remove the key.

14. Mighty Milt

disable it and forget about it... just seems like it will cause more problems in the future. i'm not into making too many modifications on a whim, but sometimes it's just easier to remove the problem rather than wonder how it actually works and when the next let-down will be

15. Timetripper

Timetripper Moderator

Sounds like the interlock for the AT - where you have to have your foot on the brake before you shift out of Park, but what that has to do with your problem is a ?
    Unless some how the two systems are connected somehow.
    Is your shifter on the floor or the dash?
    Also do you have a indicator on the dash for PRNDL ? does it line up correctly for the gear you are in at the time?

Last edited: Oct 18, 2008
  16. Griz

Griz Member

The shifter is between the seats and there is a lighted indicator of PRNDL on the dash which is working as it should.
    I am checking now to see if anything is not working as it should with the pot metal ended cable removed from the lock, so far everything is working. Can you think of anything I need to check?

17. Timetripper

Timetripper Moderator

The cable you mentioned earlier which when removed from switch everything works ok.
    Quote: "It traces down under the floor " - need to find out where that cable goes exactly
    I would take off console around shifter to see if it has come off a linkage in there or something missaligned or outer sheath anchor loose maybe.

18. gregw98

gregw98 Member

Have you tried putting foot on brake and then removing key. Or maybe appling the E-brake first.

19. Griz

Griz Member

"Have you tried putting foot on brake and then removing key. Or maybe appyling the E-brake first."
    Yes I tried both, no help. I have also checked the operation of everything I can think of and all works with cable not connected to ignition switch. The only difference I can find is I can take the truck out of park when key is removed, steering wheel locked & cable not connected. Cable connected, key removed, steering wheel locked can't take it out of park. Once I move the key out of lock position when the cable is connected I can not get back into lock nor remove the key. Still haven't traced cable to it's end but for now with cable not connected to ignition I can remove key & lock up the truck.