1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Camo paint & stencils?

Discussion in 'General Truck Info' started by voss4330, Jul 26, 2007.

1. voss4330

voss4330 New Member

Great forum, lots of good info!

I'm new and have yet to purchase a mini truck, but would like to do the camo paint myself. Has anyone done this and what is some of the problems? Where did you get the stencils/paint and how much of each did it take for the minis? I like the Realtree Hardwoods design. Not sure I'd do the vinyle. Would appreciate any info.

Dan

2. stencil paint job

Dan, I have done a few with the stencils and it was pretty easy. I bought the kits from Cabelas and it is made by Styx River. The kits come with one can of each color and that is not enough. I had to go to O'rielly auto parts and buy a few more cans of each color. If you need any more info of if you want to see a truck done with the max-4 pattern you can check out our website. www.gatewayminitrucks.com then click on gallery and go to the last page and you will see a subaru with the paint job.
    Hope this helps. Mike

3. abcminitrucks

abcminitrucks Member

4. voss4330

voss4330 New Member

Thanks Mike, so three or four cans of each color would do the trick. How long did it take you to do your truck? I like your trucks, the max-4 might be the camo I'll use. I'm currently looking for a truck with A/C, dump bed, less than 50K miles, good exterior/interior. Thanks.
    Dan

5. voss4330

voss4330 New Member

Thanks ABCMINITRUCKS, I heard the vinyl had a shiny finsih, almost fake looking, is that what you've experienced? I suppose it would be faster to apply the vinyl than paint kit. You have a nice looking truck. Thanks.
    Dan

6. abcminitrucks

abcminitrucks Member

The 3M vinyl is a matt finish....

7. EastTexasMiniTrucks

EastTexasMiniTrucks New Member

Dan,
    We have used the real tree hard wood kit. Looks great, but takes a long time and you need a couple of buddies to help hold the stencils while you spray. We now have built our own custom stencils that are the cut to the exact size of our trucks. 6 pieces. 2 that cover the doors, 2 for the bed sides, 1 for front, 1 for tail gate. we then use our door stencil on the roof. We are set up to mass produce these stencil camo paint jobs. By building these stencils we have cut the time from 7 hours down to 2. We shoot with professional gravity feed air guns. They look great when complete. Texas deer hunters love it! Let us know if you have questions or need tips.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 30, 2007
  8. 47knuk

47knuk New Member

Hey Colin... What did you use to make your "custom stencils"?

9. TetsuKuma

TetsuKuma Member

Colin,
    Does that 2 hour time include the prep work...i.e. sanding?

10. I have done one truck with the stencils from Cabelas as well. The actual camo time wasn't bad, but the prep work and base coat took the longest - removing the trim, sanding, fixing any rust/dents if needed, taping off windows, etc. You can see my truck on my webpage - it's the one with the hunting seat in the back.