1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best upgrade ever

Discussion in 'Mitsubishi Minicab' started by Kei3DO, May 11, 2024.

1. Kei3DO

Kei3DO New Member

So I've been looking around for a little while about clutch fan vs a low profile electric fan from mishimoto or another reputable brand. Only issue is every forum is filled with people arguing with each other about alternator drag and other random thermodynamic fairy tales. I ended up getting on YouTube and watching a few videos, and one that sold me was a big Ford V8 losing 5hp from an old clutch fan. Of course, like the forums, people in the comments are undefeated at the ability to argue about literally anything. So I bit the bullet and decided to spend the money on a kit because I needed to change my blown water pump gasket anyway. Well after a day of struggling with the pump and clutch fan, I finally got it all hooked up... I must say, the power gain on these old and tired 3 cylinders from simply replacing the clutch fan is amazing. Just to test out the alternator drag, I forced the fan on for the past few days and I can't even tell it's running. I can even turn on my A/C without the engine dropping to 200 rpm. I'll be upgrading to an aluminum radiator soon, cause mine is worn out something fierce. I'll post it in this thread too, when I get it installed. I HIGHLY recommend this conversion. Picture proof: 1000008748.jpg

2. MrJPolito

MrJPolito Active Member

Do you have more info about where to get the kit? Seems like a reasonable idea to me.

Also, what's that wire sticking out of your upper coolant hose? Part of the kit?

3. Kei3DO

Kei3DO New Member

Sorry for the late reply. I'm almost done upgrading the coolant system, as I'm waiting on a new aluminum radiator. The stock radiator doesn't have enough airflow to cool efficiently, so the temps rise. The radiator I have on order is a Yamaha Viking 700 radiator. I will update the thread after that's fitted and installed.

As for the kit itself, it's a mishimoto 10 inch fan, mishimoto temp sensor adaptor, mishimoto electric fan kit. The tools to attach the fan are electric fan installation kit. I highly recommend checking out a video by JapaneseMiniTruck (I believe that's the channel) on YouTube, he has a video from last year of himself installing a kit on his Nissan Hardbody.