1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

best tire/wheel combo for sticking to the road?

Discussion in 'General Truck Info' started by kayakbrian, Oct 7, 2017.

1. kayakbrian

kayakbrian New Member

Hey everyone. Just got a 91 supercharged sambar van to convert into a micro camper van, just for the heck of it. So I imagine I'll be a bit of a pain for the next few months!

My first question is tires. I've been using the search function until my brain is cooked and I'm no closer to really figuring out what tire/wheel combo is going to give me the safest handling for driving all over at 55mph. Those little wheels look scary, but that doesn't mean that they are. To my eye, something just a little wider and a little taller (5% on each) seems more proportionate and might drop the rpm a little. I know that a lot of people are going a bit bigger, with the obvious tradeoff being power. Question is, does that actually improve the ride? A bit less twitchy on the freeway would be nice. If the stock 145/80's are the right tool for the job no reason to buy new wheels, but I'm happy to do it for a little safer handling and slightly lower rpm. Anyone with highway experience have any advice here? The internet is making my brain hurt.

2. ttc

ttc Active Member

on my hijet a run 13" rx7 rims as they are the only rims in north america that fit the 4 410 bolt pattern. the ofset of the rx7 rims make the wheel base quite a bit wider. i was running 165/75/13 i think and they just fit flush with the body when looking down the truck. i think they where 7 percent over stock. i do notice a a slight lose in top end on hills. you having a supercharger you probably have 60 some hp or more compaired to any the na minitrucks. post some pictures up of your rig.

3. matt167

matt167 Active Member

I drive a 1992 Suzuki Carry pickup as my regular vehicle. It's a 5spd and handles 55-60 MPH with ease, and has a little more in it although I would never consider taking the freeway if there was another way to get where I was going.. I run the stock 145R12 in a Yokohama Y372S which is DOT rated. It's very stable, only in the rain can it get unstable at speed but even in a downpour I get where I'm going safely. I just maintain a little over 50 MPH in the rain as a max

For the winter, I'm grabbing some 13" rims and either 165/65/13 or 155/70/13 since 12" snow tires do not exist in DOT rated tires. Both of those are only about .5" diamater taller. The only real reason for taller or 13"+ tires is availability. You do have a few more HP than a basic Kei truck, but it is still limited

AZmini-t likes this.