1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Arctic Cat Susuki 660

Discussion in 'Performance' started by KCCats, Jan 24, 2017.

1. matt167

matt167 Active Member

The block for the sleds is specially made for them. The best way to make it work is to use the truck block with the Sled internals and cylinder head. My only gripe with the stock HP is hills and carrying weight. It's the only time that it's in any way inadequate although it's still adaquate. A turbo manifold ( which is easy to get ) and a turbo would likely run low boost just fine and that would pull the hills better

2. KCCats

KCCats Member

So far all I have learned is that the sled has a dry sump.
    But I believe the head might interchange and must have larger ports?
    I was hoping to do the intake and exhaust and the EFI?

3. PhilM

PhilM Member

I thought there was another thread on this topic and someone who has see both engines apart stated the snowmobile head would not work on a Cary engine as the ports would not line up ie coolant ports and so on....

Phil

4. KCCats

KCCats Member

Can't say that I've seen that one?

5. Kent

Kent New Member

Hi I am new to the site.. I have a 2002 Suzuki with a turbo intercooled 660 Artic Cat engine installed. Turns about 110 hp !!

6. KCCats

KCCats Member

OH?
    Talk to me!
    Got pics?

7. Kent

Kent New Member

Have a few pics.. still trying to figure this forum out as to how to post them . Says my files are too big. I should have taken more when we did it 4 yes ago.

8. mr.mindless

mr.mindless Member

what are you running for a transmission?

9. KCCats

KCCats Member

He is running the stock Suzuki trans.
    My understanding is that the Cat motor has a bolted on tapered crank PTO!
    The oil pan and stuff had to be swapped over but the block is the same!

10. Kent

Kent New Member

Ed
    That is correct.

11. Cole

Cole Member

Oh man am I ever interested. I have found an easy way to resize my pictures is to just email them to myself and then I can select a smaller size. I am not really familiar with the 660 turbo sled engine but I know lots of guys that run it! I live in snowmobile country. Very interested!! Could you post some info on the work you had to put into it?

12. Cole

Cole Member

The only issue I can think of for me anyways is that I have a 93 with the F6A engine and the 2002 has a K6A. Don't know if those two blocks are the same.

13. Kent

Kent New Member

The process started because of an air filter gasket fail on the first engine that sucked so much dirt in that it destroyed the top end... valves and head .The truck is a 2002 and the engine is a K6A Suzuki. Arctic Cat uses the K6A in their touring sleds. I am not sure if the non turbo sled uses the same engine. I bought a 2004 touring turbo that was totaled for a motor swap. The engine block is the same with just one mod we had to make.We had to machine a plug for the bottom of the block so the stock oil pan would work it was about a 2 inch round piece of aluminum that we press fitted and locktighted in . The transfer involved changing the front cover, oil pan,intake manifold,valve covers.Might have been some other things. The engine then bolts right up to the mounts and the transmission. It is not a dry sump oil engine like some say. The tapered adapter that the clutch bolts to comes off the crankshaft and then the flywheel with the starter ring gear from the old engine bolts to the crankshaft. That's all the easy part . It looks and fits exactly like the old engine. Hard to believe but true ! Now the hard part. Hadn't planned on the turbo but well........to much power to pass up. I mounted the turbo on the side of the transfer case did the pipe and hose routing. Added the heavy duty double element air cleaner to feed it behind to cab. Also built a box that brings air from the top of the cab. That box continues under the truck box and the intercooler is mounted to the front side and a continuous radiator fan to the backside. Then the complete snowmobile wiring harness was neededand the ECU for the correct mapping and all the extra wires for the turbo controll and waste gate. That was the hard part.... married the two harnesses together in several areas .Even needed the sleds speedo gauge in the cab as the main gauge. It was a fun project once I decided to add the turbo. Makes a completely different truck out of it especially on tires. It is wild !!. We have run it for about 3 yrs with no major problems .
    Still trying to get this pic posting figured out.

14. Kent

Kent New Member

15. Cole

Cole Member

Well that is awesome! So you are running your stock intake, valve covers, manifold etc? Did the engine go in on the same extreme slant as stock? I assume so if it bolted in. I am sure this is just the start of the questions! There will be a lot of interest. The extra power would be great for my tracks!

Attached Files:

16. Kent

Kent New Member

17. Kent

Kent New Member

Bolts in the same slanted on the side.. Same engine you had before

18. Kent

Kent New Member

I do use the Arctic Cat 40 dollar per gallon synthetic oil now.. I would recommend that.

19. Kent

Kent New Member

20. KCCats

KCCats Member

Very Nice Sir!