1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone have thoughts on supercharging on a 95 Sambar?

Discussion in 'Subaru Sambar' started by Richard Morris, Nov 22, 2020.

1. Richard Morris

Richard Morris New Member

CD0D4FA6-CCB9-4DEE-B612-20F47057D016.jpeg I have bought a rebuilt AMR300 supercharger to put on another vehicle (72 Honda 600 car), but it struck me that it would work on my 95 Sambar dump truck.

Has anyone done this? Any thoughts on it? It came with some removable hose connectors on both sides (short, not barbed but smooth), that should make installation even easier.

if someone has done it, can you post on this thread detailed pictures of how you connected it please?

Richard

2. Richard Morris

Oops, in and out are as shown, not smooth stubs.

3. Jigs-n-fixtures

Jigs-n-fixtures Well-Known Member

Just one thought: Typically on an engine built to run boost, the compression ratio is dropped, to allow more compressed air, into the engine to emulate a larger displacement. And, the cam profile is different than on a normally aspirated engine.

That is a twin scroll Rootes style compressor and is sized to produce a set amount of air volume per revolution. So, if it was properly sized for a smaller displacement it may not produce the volume and boost you would need to make it work well.

4. Richard Morris

I can make a new pulley in my machine shop so the speed of the blower can be adjusted.

as you can see in the picture after I rebuilt it, the pistons are not high compression (no doubt they are higher than a factory supercharged piston). I was aware of that but don’t consider it an issue of major importance.
    Richard
    Well,it won’t let me attach a picture

5. Jigs-n-fixtures

Jigs-n-fixtures Well-Known Member

Ok, sounds like you know where you’re headed.

Please post pictures as you go. It’s been a while since we had a good build thread.

6. banzairx7

banzairx7 Active Member

I own a factory supercharged Sambar. I ended up taking off the supercharger and put on a turbo. Truck makes more power at the same boost and gets ~50% better fuel economy. With that said it's not easy as just bolting up a turbo or supercharger. You need to figure out how to get fuel into it properly, intercooling it, how to control timing. It's a big deal. Even with mine already being setting up for boost it took a few months and tons of fabrication to get the turbo on the truck.

If you really wanted to supercharger I'd get used motor and swap that in. You'd still need to figure out an ECU to control everything but all the mechanical hard work would be done.

https://autoparts.beforward.jp/detail/Engine---Components/Engines/PA31874604/