1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any signs of life?

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by RetroScotsman, Feb 13, 2017.

1. RetroScotsman

RetroScotsman New Member

Anyone still kicking out there?
    I'd just would like to introduce myself and ask a question that I haven't found the real answer to in searches. I've always liked the little Kei trucks for some time now. That interest has grown into a seriousness of wanting to buy one. I want a Kei truck for a little shop/tool truck. Scooting around town and such. My state allows Kei trucks on highways and city roads which varies from 55mph to 35. I have no need for 4wd. This truck will rarely if ever see off-road. I've read that the supercharged Sambar is the fastest and most comfortable of the Kei's but how is it on finding parts? I don't want the truck to sit in the yard because I couldn't find a head gasket, etc. The Carry and Hijet seem to be more popular in parts searches but how do they hold up on the street? I know none of these are speed demons, I'm just trying to find the lesser of two weevils.

So basically what would be the best Kei truck for street use and the easiest of finding parts for?
    Thanks and I look forward to using this little site and sharing info on these awesome little trucks.

Take care out there

Last edited: Feb 13, 2017
  2. Acerguy

Acerguy Moderator Staff Member

The Carry and the Hijet I think are by far the most popular so have the biggest source of help. I've had my Hijet for about 6 years now and it's been very trouble free. Of course, it also doesn't see daily use either. But in Japan, that's what these are used for. They are very simple vehicles but are well made. I would love to daily mine if I could.

3. Ronin

Ronin Active Member Supporting Member

Just buy the nicest one you can... there's not really any 'bad' makers. Like Acer says they're built to please a tough crowd here, and properly cared for they almost never break.

You want a fresh import, not one that's been monkeyed with, false economy is false when it comes to pinching pennies on these.

Mine's 26 years old and sees redline every day, aging like fine wine. Might paint it this spring... engine/drivetrain as good as new.

4. Tuskano

Tuskano Member

Hey there! I daily my Hijet as well here in WA. Sees redline as well, and have no real issues with over heating ect. Driven up and down the Pacific Coast before from northern Oregon down to central California and had no issues.

Like those have said before, get the nicest one. Most are basically the same aside from the fronts or engine setups like what I found between the Honda Acty and the Daihatsu Hijet. Wish you luck in your searches!