1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Altitude and carb adjustment

Discussion in 'Performance' started by danish, Jul 27, 2008.

1. danish

danish Member

I am going to be heading to Moab, UT next March and have some concerns with the altitude being around 4,300 feet above sea level. I am pretty sure I'll need to rejet so has anybody done this?? Is there anybody using their truck at a high altitude?? If so, is it rejetted?? Thank you in advance...

2. Mighty Milt

Mighty Milt Active Member

i would get it there first and see how it runs... make adjustments as necessary. when i was drag racing i carried a box of jets with me to each track and made adjustments as needed. i knew what the car should run and would take plug readings and change things around until i could get it to run the number.

typically if you are going to a higher altitude where the air is not as dense you will need to step up the air correction jet on the main circuit and maybe a little smaller idle jet and play with the fuel mixture a bit.

you might run a search on it, i know i posted a detailed description of how to read plugs and jet accordingly, i can't find it now though

3. danish

danish Member

Are jets universal among carbs?? I've never messed with carbs much so this is new to me...

4. Mighty Milt

a brand of carburetor will have it's own jets, i used to run weber 48IDA carbs they had their own type of jets that other weber carbs didn't use. not really aftermarket jets available for carbs like when you need shocks or struts or tires. i usually recommend "opening up" the air correction jet because you can make the holes bigger but not smaller. you can use a wire gauge and a numbered drill set to do this, do it in small steps and if you screw up and make it too big you can get another stock jet and start over.

not to say you can't, but if you haven't done it before you might want to find someone that has some "seat of the pants" and hands on experience in doing this to help you along when you get there. a lot of it is how it feels when you drive it.

5. danish

danish Member

Do I have to take the carb off completely or can I just take the bowl off and get to the jets?? I was thinking I could just get one out and see if the local motorcycle dealership can help me find the jets. Thanks for the good info!!

6. Mighty Milt

i don't know what type of carb is on there, and unless it has a motorcycle carb on it, the motorcyle shop may not be able to help. most of the new motorcycles have a CV type carb on them, if you have the same type they might get you in the ball park. i'm not real smart with slide type carbs, but i think you can adjust the needle (not to be confused with the needle and seat) to make altitude adjustments.