1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Advice for a Newbie

Discussion in 'Daihatsu Hi jet' started by Steve S83, Jun 2, 2018.

1. Steve S83

Steve S83 Member

I just picked up a 93' Hijet Jumbo. I believe that makes it an S83? It is fuel injected. I bought it for use on our Fir Tree farm in lieu of a side by side because of the many advantages, and cost. I'm curious about any advice? I'm impressed with the off road capability with the off road tires. The rear locker really helps. I already ordered 300lb springs for the front, I'm 6'3" 275 and plan to eventually get a plow so I think the 300's are the best option. The odometer and import paperwork say 73K so I'm wondering about timing belt? Should it be done soon? What other maintenance advice can anyone give me? I greatly appreciate any knowledge that you would be willing to share!

Thanks,
    Steve

2. DWils

DWils Member

I'm useless when it comes to the HiJets, but hopefully someone who isn't will chime in sometime soon. The joy of buying used imported vehicles is that there is really no way to know how long ago, if ever, something was fixed/replaced/maintained. I'd say if you're worried about it just swap it out and at least you'll know it's done and will run for however long those things last.

3. Jigs-n-fixtures

Jigs-n-fixtures Well-Known Member

I would expect it to be an S110, they were made from 1990 through 2000. There should be a tag on the right side B pillar below the upper seat belt mount which will give a vehicle type, chassis number, engine type, color, and trim code. If it isn’t there look on the panels in front of the seats under your legs.

4. Steve S83

Steve S83 Member

Thanks for the plate location. I checked and it says VS83P. Does that mean the import paperwork has the wrong year potentially?

5. Jigs-n-fixtures

Jigs-n-fixtures Well-Known Member

No the 80series was made until I think 94. They overlapped based on destination market, and trim/option levels. Kind of hard to wrap your head around if your from the USA. The manufacturing date on the seat belt is supposed to be a reliable indicator on the build date, because they made those only a month ahead of when the vehicle was made.

6. Ohkei Dohkei

Ohkei Dohkei Active Member

Hey Steve, I've been looking for a Jumbo with diff lock, and was told that they didn't make them until later than 93. Can you confirm that it actually has diff lock? Does it have A/C as well? My brother is 6'7" do you think he'd fit?

7. Steve S83

Steve S83 Member

Ohkei, I can confirm, it actually has an electronic locking rear differential. It also has A/C. 6'7" might be tough. Head room wont be an issue, it's leg room. I wear a size 15 and can only drive it with certain shoes. Heavy boots are a no go, just not enough room. If he really wants one, you can drill new holes for the mounting location of the seat runners but it would take some fab work.

8. Ohkei Dohkei

You found the truck I'm looking for. They seem to be unobtanium. My brother wont be driving, so I think he'll be fine in the passenger seat without the steering column in the way. Thanks for the info.

9. Steve S83

Steve S83 Member

Yes, he'll be fine in the passenger seat. I just lucked into this one. I was waiting for my local importer to get a Jumbo in and it just happened to have AC and a locker.

10. Ohkei Dohkei

It appears you have quite the rare bird. Here's what was sent to me regarding your truck:
    "Spoke with Daihatsu. None of them rolled off the line with diff lock. As I was told previously.
    She originally told me this had no diff lock.
    However, she called me back 10 min later and said it was an option offered by dealers. A very select few are out there and that chassis number apparently has it"

So it doesn't look good for me finding one. I might be doing an axle swap once I get mine so I can be cool like you! I'd love to see some pics of yours if you can load them.