1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ACTY CRAWLER 6x6

Discussion in 'Honda Acty' started by greg0187, Jan 12, 2008.

1. greg0187

greg0187 Moderator Staff Member

Came accross this. Check out the CRAWLER model.

Attached Files:

2. greg0187

Heres another shot.

Attached Files:

3. Colin

Colin Member

That rules. :D

4. frostback

frostback Member

Meanest looking Acty ever! :eek: I wonder how many were actually produced?

5. greg0187

6. steve_nagoya

steve_nagoya Member

We've never seen one at auction before and I've never seen one on the streets. I'll get my staff to read the Japanese and see if they are in the market, or just a "consept".

Would be pretty cool to get one of these!

7. greg0187

8. canoebuildah

canoebuildah Member

That's awesome. I have been trying to figure out how to do that with my Minicab. I figured that setup would be less taxing on the drivetrain than four tracks. And since I will be driving on snowmobile trails, the front skids would do fine.

9. greg0187

Yeah, Thats one interesting beast. One would think that it wouldn't be too hard to fab up some ski's. + think of the money you would save on two less tracks. No 4WD though.

-Greg

10. Stuff99

Stuff99 Moderator Staff Member

that would be insane to find one of those!

11. hamradio

hamradio Member

Awesome. I wonder if these were popular in japan, because if so, it wouldn't be *that* big of a deal to obtain one.

12. Stuff99

Bump for info. has anyone found one of these?

13. Azada

Azada Member

How about these??

Would anybody be interested in one of these? Looks like will run about $14,000+ FOB Japan.[​IMG]

Attached Files:

14. Stuff99

wow @ first truck!

15. Stuff99

I am in the south east, but calgary is only 8 hours away :p

fire off some specs and prices. father is looking for something for in the field that can fit in the back of his toy hauler. its a 1/2 camper 1/2 garage thing.
    [​IMG]

16. Honda Acty 6 Wheeler Crawler Plans and Parts

James has got the entire plans and parts (Where he gets it you got me) info on this wild 6 Wheeler. I didnt even know it excisted until I saw the new English Service Manual for the Honda guys. Any Honda guys interested? Ill see if James will put it in the Honda Acty book. Looks to me this design would work on any Japanese mini-truck. Anybody interested?

Don:)

17. misterturbo

misterturbo Member

18. beck79

beck79 New Member

Yeah, that would be really cool to see how they did that. Then maybe some of the mod gurus could adapt it to their trucks.

19. Acerguy

Acerguy Moderator Staff Member

20. Timetripper

Timetripper Moderator

Anyone notice in the listing photos that they use different rims when they have the rear tracks on? They are sitting in the back with the tracks but if you count there is one missing. It looks like it needs different rims so that the little rubber fingers that keep the track on the wheels has clearance from the raised section of the rim. It's also nice to see you can run either with tracks or with out.

21. Acerguy

I was wondering too which side you would run those wheels. They look like they would offset to the INSIDE of truck which wouldn't seem like it would work. My guess is that they offset to the OUTSIDE to give room for the tracks. I want it! Put some skis on the front and I could use it for grooming x-country trails!

22. Just checked out the link you posted on Ebay. Looks great, except it doesnt have the rubber tank track option. Ive got the plans and maintenece manual (JP Version) and I might check with Honda and see if the parts are still available.
    Cheers,
    Don

23. Timetripper

Timetripper Moderator

Don, Look again.

The tracks and necessary parts are in the box. :eek:

This way it gives both options. :cool:

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 13, 2008
  24. Acerguy

And, looking at it even closer, it looks like those wheels for the tracks are a sort of DUALLIE setup. Veddddy eeenteresting!

But as you pointed out, how come only 3 wheels are shown?!? :confused:

25. Stuff99

think there might be a 4th at the close end of the tracks like there is at the far end.

26. Timetripper

Timetripper Moderator

My best guess on back rim/tire for track assembly:

• It is a special rim and tire just for track - why?
    • The O.D. of the tire + thickness of the track x 2 has to equal the stock tire
      otherwise it wouldn't work driving the front axle as well
    • The "track" tire & rim has to be narrower than stock to fit in between the "fingers" on track
    • I dont think that the track can be that much wider than stock to fit into the orginal design
      parameters of the truck i.e width of box, orginal axle length, etc

Just to bad that it wouldn't be street legal in Canada :mad: being that it's a '96

27. thanks, just noticed that. Seems we have one of these at our top secret Mt Fuji toy collection (research and BBQ center). Its a shell but I want to rebuild it and put skies on the front and drive up fuji. I have the book on how to do it. Looks fun
    Cheers,
    Don

28. Timetripper

Timetripper Moderator

I relooked at the e-bay pics and i don't think the 4th rim/ tire is there.
    I just hope for who ever buys it that they have it stashed somewhere
    as we complain on how hard it is to find parts for our "reg" kei trucks
    I can't imagine on trying to find the "special" crawler rim/ tire. :frustration:

Also one other thing to ponder - The Honda brochure refers to it as a 4wd
    so it must be a 6 x 4 - front axle + one back axle driven.
    The middle axle is just along for the ride as a way to use the tracks.

And if you look at the picture in post #2 in this thread [on page 1] it is
    definitely a narrow track, it looks narrower than a stock tire IMO.

29. I borrowed this Diagram from James

Here is the brakedown of the rear suspension. I also added a picture of Mt. Fuji I took two days ago at Camp BBQ Top Secret Reasearch Facility.:)
    Cheers,
    Don

First time to upload?? Dont know if I did it correctly?

Last edited: Sep 13, 2008
  30. Mighty Milt

Mighty Milt Active Member

take a look real close at the rim right behind the cab of the truck, the one that looks lonely... it's two rims, one stacked upon the other.