1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AC and Power Steering Worthwhile or Not

Discussion in 'General Truck Info' started by Shrimp Daddy, Nov 17, 2008.

1. Shrimp Daddy

Shrimp Daddy Member

I've narrowed my search down to a 1999-2001 Suzuki Carry. Some have AC and/or power steering. Aside from the creature comforts and ease of driving these provide, I am unsure if I should purchase a Carry with either or both of these options.

From a mechanical/maintenance standpoint, would these options be worth having? My gut feeling is to keep it simple and purchase a Carry with no AC or Power steering so as to not have costly future maintenance issues.
    Thanks Guys and Gals

2. Mighty Milt

Mighty Milt Active Member

i live in arizona, a/c is a survial technique not an option on days that are 115*+. with that being said, i remember living in virginia and kentucky and the carolinas... seems to me that a/c was necesary there to keep the humidity to minimum.

if it needs a charge most garages can handle that, they are 134 and as long as you can tell them how much to put in there won't be a problem. if the compressor dies, you will have two options, get one from one of our sponsors, or cut the belt and pretend it's not there... at least it was fun while it lasted:D

as far as power steering goes.. never needed it in vehicles designed to not have it. and have had no problems without it on my mini. just today i was off roading and got into some sticky situations that required a little manuvering but made it through without putting too much a workout on my arms. keep in mind i'm typically off road in dry stuff, but haven't had a problem at the bottom a mud bog either. JMHO

3. Shrimp Daddy

Shrimp Daddy Member

Sorry, I meant to put this in the general forum.

4. lotus4s

lotus4s New Member

I have an 01 Carry with PS and A/C and love it.

5. Mini4WD

Mini4WD Member

Get the A/C...
    I live in the Carolinas and do not have A/C in my mini.....but I sure wish I did. If I ever buy another mini it WILL have A/C for sure...

6. Meesho

Meesho Member

What are your plans for the Mini Truck?

PS is great if you plan on adding oversized tires.

A/C is a great feature but can be costly to repair and can be damaged by offroading.

7. Rickster

Rickster Member

In my humble, but most accurate opinion (he-he!):

The diff would propbably be around $500 which I think you would recover should you decide to sell the unit later. I know several people who have sold their mini that didn't have A/C just to buy another one with A/C. I have yet to meet anyone who did the reverse of that.

8. oldsnowman

oldsnowman Member

i don't have a/c but some times it would be nice. but with my trucks "headlight air" (the vents behind the headlights) and the fan running i do OK :D. can't have the windows down much because it messes up my wifes hair. it does get hot in the cab but i don't notice it much because its so fun to drive.....

9. BillinOregon

BillinOregon Member

A/C can be delicate

I have it on my 1993 Carry. The condenser unit is under the bed with a fan on top. The dealer I purchased it from had it charged for me. When I took it home and ran it for say - a 1/2 hour the one time over pressure valve blew out. Turns out the condenser had all kinds of dirt/material packed on top of the condenser preventing the fan from working. Without the fan the pressure went up and the one time over pressure valve blew out. The dealer had no way of knowing since it needed to be run until the pressure went up. Not his fault. My ½ hour did the trick. I live in the PNW and my unit is off road only for ranch work so A/C is not critical. The factory design with the condenser under the bed is not optimal for off road. I wonder if there is a very small camp trailer unit that could be roof mounted? It might look a little strange. Probably freeze you out also, at least it would not be under the truck.