1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

96 Acty Attach RH rear axle pro-blemo

Discussion in 'Honda Acty' started by liquid chris, Aug 13, 2022.

1. liquid chris

liquid chris New Member

Hey folks, I'm Chris, I'm in southern Oregon and picked up this Acty Attack to use around the ranch. It almost never goes over 20kph and use the UL and UR a lot. Well I just came across my first real problem. I rolled under it doing an oil change and noticed oil leaking from the rear diff on the RH side where the axle (I guess they call it a drive shaft) plugs in. Grabbing the axle end it had a lot of play (you can rock it back and forth).

A couple of threads here run you thru the R & R, I also have the Danko manual. So after looking into the process I also noticed it was sticking out of the diff about a quarter of an inch farther than it should. So figuring I. at the very least , need to swap the seal I pulled it out (found a torn boot on the LH shaft so pulled it too).

Okay, I got em on the bench and Houston we have a problem. The clip that holds the inner shaft end into the diff side gear isn't there (I've always called them circlips, Danko calls the center ring in one place and set ring in another). The groove for the clip is badly damaged, as are the splines on the end side of the clip groove. Looking inside the side gear in the diff it looks good. Don't know where the circlip went. No shiney chunks came out with the oil.

Looking for advice on where to get the axle and the seals and boots for the LH axle. And I really don't want to pull the trans, open it up and look for clip pieces. Should I? Anybody ever come across this situation? Please chime in.

Thanks Chris

2. liquid chris

liquid chris New Member

Here's an update: Couldn't find an axle. There were two people in Japan that were able to quote on a rebuilt axle by VIN (get out the checkbook and the vasoline). Nobody was sure if the RH axle was the same on the Attack model. Shout out to Josh at WillPowered in Hemet CA. He had an Attack on the lot. Apparently the right hand axle is the same as the 5 speed trucks, it's the LH that's different (smaller splined end where it plugs into the wart on the trans that contains the diff lock). He had a new CV end in stock as well as the correct seal. He didn't give um away but he got the to me in three days. Thanks to the others in this forum that posted the part numbers for the Doorman boot kit that, although they were nowhere near as nice as the one that came in the WillPowered kit, worked just fine. Boy oh boy if anybody wants to have a real fun day try gettin these things back in. Manual gave you the basics but youtube vids were invaluable for a couple of hacks to get the axles back in. So all is good, and it's back to work hauling hay to the goats.

shogun likes this.