1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

94 suzuki help!!

Discussion in 'Performance' started by SUZUKI1987, Mar 23, 2014.

1. SUZUKI1987

SUZUKI1987 New Member

Hello just bought my mini and having some issues while shifting the it seems to bogg out when you get past half throttle it..it. does keep running and builds speed but changes sound like it running rich? Other thing I noticed is if you hold it wide open through the gears when you go to stop and let's off the throttle it smells real bunny like unburnt gas? The only thing I can see that isent right is the hose from the header to the air intake is missing.. any ideas?

Last edited: Mar 23, 2014
  2. SUZUKI1987

SUZUKI1987 New Member

Anyone??? Any ideas i have the day off and wanting to figure this out

3. Jim Nelson

Jim Nelson Active Member

If the truck has been sitting a while it probably just needs a good dose of Sea Foam and run it.Check all the vacuum lines of course and replace any that are bad as they are a lot more important than most new owners realize. What ever you do ,don't go to messing with the carburetor unless you are absolutely sure that you know what you are doing.

4. SUZUKI1987

SUZUKI1987 New Member

This truck has had seafoam ran thru it since ive owned it and there is no vac lines broke or need replaced it seems like and adjustment its just getting to much fuel at wide open...

5. the pou

the pou Member

I would check your coil, and spark plugs wires. Run the ingine at hi RPM in the dark, and check if you see any arking
    If you have a spark plug that is not fireing, that may explain the gas oder.and the buging.
    You may also check with a timing light to see if your fire advance works at low and hy RPM.if you increase your RPM,
    While looking with the timing light, you should see your timing mark increase as rmp goes up.
    Normally, a carburator problem wil make the ingine run lean (gumed jets,or needles.) unles your floatis stock open
    But then it would not run well at idle, and you would smell gas all the time
    Like jim said, opening the carb should be on the bottom of the list.
    I would check .....Spark plugs,rotor,cap,Wires,PCV valve before.
    Good luck

6. SUZUKI1987

SUZUKI1987 New Member

well i set the timming after i replaced the timming belt i set it on the T and ran it dident help i set it on 7 deg still no better... i mean the thing runs great idles great its just when going through the gears and thing above half throttle just seems like it looses power.... im at the shop now working on it should i be check the exhaust at all ive read thing about it???? like i said the only thing thats not hooked up is the hose that come from the header over to the intake that has a flapper on the inside?? is this needed? what does it do??? im a mechanic its my life but this has me kinda puzzled... mainly cause its totally differnt lol thanks for any more sugg and im gonna check the thing mentioned right now

7. Jim Nelson

Jim Nelson Active Member

.The timing should be 9 or 10,I know the specs say 7 but most will agree 9 or 10 is better. That hose from the exhaust is just to warm intake air and won't cause your problem.As a mechanic I'm sure you know these problems are a hands on deal and you just have to figure out what's causing the problem.

8. SUZUKI1987

SUZUKI1987 New Member

yes but as a mechanic i know i dont like other ppl messin with stuff they dont know much about... thats why im trying to get ideas mabye in the righ direction before i go the wrong way and make it worse1 with that said should i take the exhaust apart and see what in there or is this not the problem a clogs muffler causees on these?

9. spaner

spaner Well-Known Member

Forget about the hot-air intake bypass hose.
    It's a "nice to have" feature on a tip-top operating truck, but you're no where near that condition for tweeking.

Elimination,
    1, Air filter connection (rubber hose on carb throat), take it off, like OFF (put it into the glove compartment type "off").
    Take it for a spin, then put it back,

2, Manifold vacuum lines (not the carb lines), disconnect the lines, plug the ports, (two?...on mine, two..)
    Take it for a spin, then put them back,

3, Clutch, engine running, truck stopped, third gear, pop the clutch. Does the truck jump and stall?
    Does the truck try to move, and engine rpm slow down?

4, Catalitic, after an hour of running around town at night, does it glow, like red hot?

5, Could just be the calipers...
    Run around town for an hour and try really hard not to use the brakes at all.
    Can you hold your hand on the rim center for a full minute? Just warm, maybe..warm, but that's all.

Could be a combination of more than one issue, or could be a single encompassing problem, like a torn carb plunger gasket.
    You really just have to start eliminating ideas from the most obvious to the least. Like you mentioned with the hot air bypass. It's an obvious problem, in that it's broken, or missing. In this case however, this particular system is not related to the performance..it's just not an issue, at all.

10. SUZUKI1987

SUZUKI1987 New Member

Replaced plugs and took intake hoses off and wow what a differnce!? Air filter is clean and about the third gear jump at idle on fkat ground it lungesand kills it so it trys but no go... i also noticed when i to the hose off there was a littl wet spots (gas)...

11. SUZUKI1987

SUZUKI1987 New Member

Spaner? What would cause this? And it its supposed to die or chug thru on the third gear clutch dump given this is a 5 speed

12. SUZUKI1987

SUZUKI1987 New Member

Spaner? What would cause this? And it its supposed to die or chug thru on the third gear clutch dump given this is a 5 speed

13. SUZUKI1987

SUZUKI1987 New Member

Anyone have any thiughts on this matter??

14. muddy moose

muddy moose Member

I'll go a different rout.........do you have 2 fuel filters? One for supply and one for return? Change the one on the return line and see if that helps. Also........loosen the gas cap and try driving it. For some reason I've ran into about a dozen bad gas caps in the last 2 weeks hahaha. Good luck man

15. SUZUKI1987

SUZUKI1987 New Member

Yes i will looks at the filters tonight.. thank you for your reply and sounds like you have a beast of a mini!!!:)

16. muddy moose

muddy moose Member

No problem. Our "mini-mog" as we lovingly call her.......she does well hahaha

17. muddy moose

muddy moose Member

Did ya get a chance to check your return filter and gas cap?