1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

94 Acty Carburetor issues (need photos please!!)

Discussion in 'Honda Acty' started by Sam Gamble, Nov 20, 2016.

1. Sam Gamble

Sam Gamble Member

My truck is continuing to run like absolute crap when idling, is now shooting out smoke (way too rich). So I decided to take the carb apart and the same problem persists. I think it all has something to do with the choke, as far as I can tell it never opens. I know it is based off of coolant temp, so maybe I have an issue there.

Can someone take a photo of the linkages on the side of their carb, on the side with the solenoids, I feel as if mine is hooked up wrong but I don't know how they are actually supposed to be installed.

I would appreciate any help I can get with this as it is making me want to yank out all my hair.

2. Jdmonealp

Jdmonealp Member

It's very possible that it's the "air cutoff" solenoid. Take the air box cover off and see if it runs any better. If it does, it's most likely that solenoid. It a very common solenoid to go bad.

3. Sam Gamble

Sam Gamble Member

I'm pretty sure its ignition related. The second time I put the carb in I didn't attach the air intake tube and it still ran horrible. I am going to save money up this winter for all the parts I need and then start tackling it this spring.

4. Sam Gamble

Sam Gamble Member

Checked valve lash today, Half expecting them to be way off but they wern't so that excludes that theory I had. I am going to check the fuel return line going to the fuel tank.

5. shogun

shogun Active Member

6. Sam Gamble

Sam Gamble Member

Thank you for your help. I don't think either of those addressed my exact problem however they reminded me that I need to check ALL my vacuum lines. I also think it may be a clogged return fuel line, but I'm not sure which one is the return. A large line comes out of the tank and goes to the filter and then there is another small line that also goes to a filter looking thing, I believe there is another small line but it does not go to any filter sort of thing.

7. Sam Gamble

Sam Gamble Member

I still know for sure my linkages are hooked up wrong as the throttle butterfly sometimes gets stuck open slightly. I would appreciate any photos someone could send me.

8. Sam Gamble

Sam Gamble Member

I was going to replace the vacuum hoses all along and I figure it'll be cheap so I'm going to tackle it pretty soon. The silicone hose comes in 5' lengths. Any idea of how much I would need to replace everything that's around the engine?

9. shogun

shogun Active Member

I searched a bit more...
    https://minitrucktalk.com/threads/honda-acty-vacuum-diagram-1995.14400/ also Google "James Danko Honda Service Book" , there are some online sites which sell it and they show a number of pages as pre-view free of charge, maybe you are lucky. The book is published by LuLu Publications. Or buy a used one, that is best, sometimes on Ebay, amazon, used here for $66 https://www.amazon.com/Honda-English-Factory-Service-Manual/dp/0557027993
    Acty Truck EPC, but only goes up to 1987 http://honda-europe.epc-data.com/acty_truck/
    or try this http://www.epc-data.com/ also includes HA3 etc.

10. Sam Gamble

Sam Gamble Member

Thank you again for your help. The truck is for sure going to be sitting all winter, and most of spring and summer, too many business expenses right now to be messing with it. I did a compression test and a leak down test and the engine seems plenty healthy to me, compression of around 150 PSI per cylinder. I know it's not a fuel issue, (unless its dumping in way too much fuel which I don't think is the case) so eventually I will get to checking the ignition. I know the coil is fine so that leaves the distributor (I can tell someone has messed with it before), the cap and rotor, wires and plugs. Again it may also be a vaccum issue as well. I also have not checked my local DMV to see if I can even register the truck so if it turns out I cannot then I'm in no rush to get it running as I will have no where to drive it. In that case I will wait another three years as then it will be 25 years old and I will be able to register it with no problems.