1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

91 Sambar- Possibly Nearing Engine Failure- Opinions?

Discussion in 'Microvans' started by Mckenzie27, Nov 10, 2016.

1. Mckenzie27

Mckenzie27 New Member

I have a 1991 Sambar with 103k km on it. I bought it about 5 months ago and have put 10k km on it since then with no issues.
    It has an oil leak since i've had it. I've always kept it topped up on oil, but it does go through quite a lot. I took it into a mechanic who had some experience with a Sambar previously and he diagnosed it as "Various oil leaks-from cam cover gasket, possibly cam seal and crank seal, also left and right output shaft seals leaking.".
    BUT at the same time told me he fears it may be nearing engine failure due to the "engine knock". It has been making this sound since i've had it.. I may have just gotten lucky that it hasn't failed up until now- but I have read that engine knock can be due to other problems. He has advised me to sell it onto someone who will be willing to take it on as a project when the engine does go as he quoted the rebuild to be about $5000 at least. I would love to try to avoid this I know Sambar's can just have faulty engines- but I LOVE this van. Does anyone have any experience to offer up on this situation ? Dealing with engine failure and rebuilds ? Is it worth it ?

If not I am wondering what would be a reasonable price to ask. The exterior and interior are both in great shape. The heat doesn't work very well in the front ( but the backseat heater is perfect) and the gas gauge doesn't work. As mentioned it has 103k km on it.

I am trying to decide between investing money into repairs or selling on and would just appreciate any general advice or information anyone has to offer up.