1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

89 hijet timing

Discussion in 'Daihatsu Hi jet' started by pairofhounds, Dec 13, 2011.

1. oldoldoldman

oldoldoldman Member

To be sure take the carb off and lay it on the engine with engine off overnight to see if it leaks. Gas shouldnt go into engine tho with engine off cause no pressure on the fuel line so it might not be that. Make sure your fuel pump isnt leaking into crank case too and check your gas cap vent for over night pressure. tom

2. pairofhounds

pairofhounds Member

I have an aftermarket electronic fuel pump...

3. oldoldoldman

oldoldoldman Member

How can gas leak into oil with no fuel pressure when off and gets sucked into intake when on? check cap vent

4. oldoldoldman

oldoldoldman Member

Bad float valve wont leak into oil when running, only make it run rich.
    Fuel cant leak into oil when off because no pressure.

5. pairofhounds

pairofhounds Member

I didn't say it leaked when off..I believe gas continues to flow in float bowl when full due to bad seat

6. oldoldoldman

oldoldoldman Member

You missed my post that if float is leaking when it is running it can only run rich, not leak into crankcase. The path for gas to get into crankcase is through carb into cylinders and then run down past rings into crankcase and it only works when is not running, otherwise gas is burned. tom

Last edited: Feb 8, 2012
  7. pairofhounds

pairofhounds Member

Well then it must need rings because it fouls plugs very very quickly!!!

8. oldoldoldman

oldoldoldman Member

That still wont put gas in oil. It would have to be smoking realllll bad to need rings.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2012
  9. pairofhounds

pairofhounds Member

it does smoke very bad now. pulled plugs tonight and they are very oily black

10. oldoldoldman

oldoldoldman Member

Did the smoke just start or has it been smoking all along?

11. pairofhounds

pairofhounds Member

been smoking badly for awhile

12. oldoldoldman

oldoldoldman Member

Probably ring time. Dont over rev the engine, they will rev high and seem to like it but forces 4x on moving parts as revs 2x and causes lots of extra wear but dont lug it down either.:frustration:

13. pairofhounds

pairofhounds Member

would that explain plug fouling and sluggishness? Any advice on ring replacement?

14. pairofhounds

pairofhounds Member

And suggestions?

15. oldoldoldman

oldoldoldman Member

That would explain fouling but not necessarily the sluggishness. Find someone near where you live and get their advise,they will need to talk you through it. Just make sure they are your friend and know what they are talking about or you will spend more money than you need to.

16. pairofhounds

pairofhounds Member

Do I need to hone cylinders?or just slap some new rings in it? Depending on severitu I guess

.just a hunting rig so doesn't have to be %100. Just tired of replacing plugs

17. oldoldoldman

oldoldoldman Member

You should be able to get plug extensions that will eliminate the fouling. Not sure what their called but make the plug farther back to keep oil out, kinda like a small pipe extension for the plugs and maybe hotter plugs.

18. pairofhounds

pairofhounds Member

Plugs are facing up words and seem to gather all the fuel getting past the rings...seems oily though

19. pairofhounds

pairofhounds Member

Upwards not up words

20. oldoldoldman

oldoldoldman Member

fuel does not get past rings, only oil up into cylinders or blow by down into crankcase gets past rings.

21. oldoldoldman

oldoldoldman Member

You need to go to you tube and watch a good engine animation.

22. oldoldoldman

oldoldoldman Member

Have you taken your carb apart? If so you need to check the small 0 ring on the end of the jet in the bottom of the float bowl.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2012
  23. pairofhounds

pairofhounds Member

Tech at g&r imports said that I likely had gas in crankcase due to imburned gas washing by rings...

24. oldoldoldman

oldoldoldman Member

Maybe so but Iv never seen gas in the crankcase just from running rich.

25. oldoldoldman

oldoldoldman Member

Usually gas gets into crank case when a gas tank is higher than the carb and the gas seeps past bad needle or seat gasket over time and flows down cylinders and past rings and into oil all when engine is not running. If you have a misfiring plug then rich mixture washes oil off cylinder and wears faster but never heard of getting into oil. We need someone else that is a mechanic to add to our discussion. tom

Last edited: Feb 9, 2012
  26. pairofhounds

pairofhounds Member

How do I keep the carbure?tor from running rich. I messed with the adjustment screws all I know how to. either way I believe it's time for a rimg job

27. oldoldoldman

oldoldoldman Member

If you took the carb apart then you might have taken the long jet in the bottom of the float bowl out and damaged the small 0 ring on the bottom end. That will make it run realllllllllllll rich. If you did you can turn all the screws you want but it wont help.

28. pairofhounds

pairofhounds Member

thats what i found that was dry rotted and was allowing the fuel to continue dumping into bowl. the replacement i rigged has probably failed...its not really a O ring is it? more like a stopper/seat?

29. oldoldoldman

oldoldoldman Member

It dosent dump into carb it get sucked into it. Not the same as leaky float valve. It is an 0 ring on the bottom of the long jet in bottom of float bowl.Go to auto parts house and get smallest you can. It will never run right till you get right one.

30. pairofhounds

pairofhounds Member

can i get to it without removing carb??